Ruger 9mm EC9s Slide Hold Open/Release Problem

ChasHam

With the empty magazine that came with the recently purchased Ruger EC9s inserted, the slide locks back and is easily released by pulling it back slightly then depressing the slide hold open lever.

I purchased a Value 2-Pack of Ruger factory magazines (90642, PM1027) online from a reputable dealer and they appear to have identical dimensions and markings compared to the original magazine. But when either of the new ones is inserted empty into the pistol, the slide locks back properly- but can't be readily released.

When the slide is slightly retracted, it is almost impossible to depress the slide hold open lever to release the slide. Most times I need to remove the magazine to release the slide.

I disassembled and cleaned the new magazines which do seem to have stiffer springs then the one that came with the gun and which has only fed a box or so of ammo. The new magazines do manually feed cartridges fine.

So what do you think-- is this a gun issue, a magazine issue, a break-in issue or a non-issue?

Last edited:

Jim Watson

Agree.
That is not even something I attempt.
The magazine is holding up the slide stop hard.

I would say the first magazine is the oddball, the extras are normal.

kozak6

Non-issue.

Being able to release the slide on an empty magazine isn't useful, and it won't happen with a lot of pistols. It's also no biggie to just remove or drop the magazine a little if you want to release the slide.

ChasHam

I hear y'all and this Revolver Guy is trying hard to believe...

But the moderate number of self-loaders I've ever owned-- including the few I have now-- readily released the slide when it was slightly retracted and the hold open lever was depressed with an empty magazine inserted.

Theohazard

On many guns it’s difficult to release the slide with an empty mag. I’m with Jim: the one mag you have where it’s easy is the oddball. More importantly, it’s a complete non-issue either way: There’s no need to release the slide on an empty mag.