Ruger 9E... Your thoughts?

Mokumbear

I have the Ruger P89 and the out of production P90 and love 'em both.
They are my two go to guns at home.
Super reliable and built like tanks.

I believe the P Series was the last that Bill Ruger was actively involved with.

What do you think about the Ruger 9E?

I think I saw one comment somewhere about cheap/fragile plastic parts
making it a poor choice for carry.
I'm not buying it to carry but do you think that comment has any validity?

B.O.F.H.

I don't put stock in those comments even though I've never handled this particular model. I just never have known ruger to put out fragile guns. Even the lcp is more reliable than similar sized offerings from competitors. No recall that I am aware of on their single stack 9mm either...... Beretta, Sig, S&W, Springfield.

That said, I see the standard Sr9s going for reasonable enough prices to forgo a cheaper model if in fact I had my eye on this design.

cmdc

I have the 9E, as well as an SR9, 9c, 40 and 45, and I would call the 9E inexpensive rather than cheap. It shoots just as good as the others.

However, it comes with only one magazine, and I would agree with B.O.F.H. that for not a whole lot more money, you can get the SR9 which comes with two mags.

Mokumbear

CMDC, do you like your 9E?
It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Does the 9E have the "click/bang" reliability I have become accustomed to with Ruger firearms?

Is the 2nd magazine the only real advantage of the SR9?
If 17 plus 1 isn't enough, I would say you are in some pretty deep doo doo. :D

I know the SR9 has a loaded chamber indicator which is of no importance to me.

I think I also read that the SR9 has more "grippy" area on the slide.
I keep most of my guns in Condition One, so that is also not a
selling point for me.

skizzums

although a second mag will not likely be used in a firefight, you definetly need to invest in some more. models aren't manufactured forever and SOMEDAY you will need a mag, cheaper to buy now than to rebuild 20 years from now

LockedBreech

My friend owns an SR9 fullsize. Nice trigger, a little sensitive to limp-wristing (I was able to induce a failure to eject pretty easily).

One of the posters over on pistol-forum is doing a 2,000 round test on one. It is not going well.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17473-Ruger-9E-2-000-round-test-thread

I like Ruger revolvers and I also carry an LCP regularly, but for a fullsize 9x19 I'd save another $100 and buy something in the $400 range like the SP2022 or a police trade-in Glock or M&P.

JJ45

Compared to the P89/90 the 9E might be perceived as fragile because it is considerably thinner more compact and lighter than those weapons even though barrel length is similar. And, of course, not as much steel in the construction.

I have shot 300 rounds through mine and had two stove pipes early on in the first 100....I really believe the very stiff recoil spring had something to do with these jams as it was early on and hasn't happened since. The pistol is far from being broken in yet.

The grip on the 9E is my favorite auto pistol grip, much like a 1911 and should fit everyone. It is my only striker fired pistol and the trigger squeeze takes some getting used to. Compared to my son's M&P9 the trigger was much better out of the box and even with an Apex Duty trigger kit in the M&P, the trigger pulls are now about very similar and I might still favor the 9E in this regard.

The Rugers I own are hell for stout and I see no reason why the 9E won't hold up as well but only time will tell.

Mokumbear

Good point skizzums.

I never considered that.

Then again, I only shoot about 4 to 6 times a year.

Would you think a magazine would last pretty long at that rate,
even fully loaded?

mavracer

The only things about the economy model that would affect it as a CCW would be the finish, the SR9 has a nitrided slide which is more corrosion resistant then the 9E's black oxide and the sights aren't the same dovetail so the SR nightsights and fiber optics wont fit.
BTW I just bought a 9E to replace the SR I gave my dad.

Last edited:

subhuman

I have the 9E and a SR40 both are excellent guns, I do have to run a little extra maintenance on the 9E when I sweat on it than I do the SR40 the finish starts to show corrosion pretty quick in a humid salty environment but keeping it wiped down has kept it at bay, as far as function and operation they are excellent no hiccups or bobbles with close to a 1000 rounds through each of them and the SR trigger will put all the other stock striker fired triggers to shame it is as good as the the full Ghost Evo kit I had in my G19 and thanks to that it is as accurate as you are.