Ruger 77/44 rifle?

Big Bill

Does anyone here have a Ruger 77/44 rifle? If so, how do you like it? How accurate and effective is it on deer sized game out to 200 yards? How would it be for HD?

dmazur

I've had this since last spring, and I've only shot it a few times.

Ruger77-44.jpg

It has a Volquartsen trigger (2#) and a Leupold VXII 1-4X scope.

With 240gr JSP handloads, I'm getting 1.5" at 50 yds. MV is around 1400 fps. If it does 3" or better when I shoot it at 100 yds, I'll be happy.

I plan to use it for hunting blacktail in western Washington, for relatively close shots. Probably 50 yds or less but no further than 100 yds.

I have yet to take a deer with a .44 Mag, but I understand they work just fine as long as you keep the shots close. With 240gr bullets and a 100 yd zero, a ballistics calculator shows a 17" drop at 200 yds.

Not impossible, but a ballistic reticle and some experience in ranging might be indicated for 200 yds. (17" is the height of the deer's body!)

In terms of "home defense", the 77/44 has a limited magazine capacity (4) and is relatively slow to reload. It can fire .44 Mag downloaded to .44 Special levels, for reduced recoil and less concern of penetrating walls and injuring someone in the house next door. However, I don't think you can buy ".44 Spagnum" ammo, so this option isn't available if you don't reload.

While it might look kind of kludgy, you can get a Weaver rail adapter that clamps into the Ruger integral mounts, and this would permit use of an Eotech or similar red dot sight. If I had to use a 77/44 for home defense, I think I'd do something like that.

IMO, it's a neat little carbine, but it's not a long-range deer rifle and it's not a 12 gauge pump. :)

Last edited:

Rampant_Colt

They're great little rifles! Mine is accurate as heck▬even better with handloads.

I've yet to shoot anything other than paper with mine

Home defense? It would work in a pinch, but would not be my first choice

ruger7744redux.jpg

NEGC aperture sight w/240gr Rainier JHP handloads

Please check THIS excellent website out

ThomasT

I don't have the ruger but I do have a marlin 44mag and they kill deer just fine. My buddy has been using his for the last 10 years as his deer rifle. I killed a deer with mine last year. At the ranges we get deer in to us (75 yards or less) the 44 does a bang up job.

I am considering getting the ruger because of the 1/20 twist instead of the 1/38 that the marlin has.

I can't help you with 200 yard shots. That seems a little long to me. The round will do it you just have to learn where to hold.

Dmazurs handloads seem on the slow side. I am getting 1800fps with 240s and just over 2000fps with 200gr bullets. About the best I have got group wise is 4" with 200s but around 2.5" with 240gr bullets. I don't have a clue what the drop would be at 200 yards with the 240gr bullet at that speed.

I watched your vid crosshair and have a question. What is the black thing that flops around under your rifle by the trigger guard? A friend has a suppresed rifle like yours and loves it. He has been trying to get me to get one also.

Legionnaire

Big Bill, I like wood and blued steel, so recently picked up an older specimen of the 77/44 in pristine condition. Haven't shot it yet, though, so can't answer your questions.

Rampant_Colt, how do you like the NECG aperature? Looks like it attaches directly to the ring cuts in the Ruger's receiver. Trying to decide whether to scope my gun, or mount a peep sight. Did you have to change the front sight, too, or was it high enough already?

Huntergirl

The Ruger seems more unwieldy than a Marlin 44mag. If the shots are going to be within 150yds or so, and assuming you're hunting the thicket, then why not get something made for the thicket like a lever action in 44mag? My second choice would be a Model 760/7600 in 35Rem. I never really understood why the Ruger in 44mag, unless of course it was the model 96 in 44mag. Had one and it was perfect for close in hunting.

Rampant_Colt

Legionnaire (cool name btw! :cool:) - I absolutely love my NEGC peep! It fits directly into the scope mount, and the factory front sight height is perfect for 50-150 yard shots using 240gr bullets; anything past that you'd probably need a taller one.

I wouldn't sell this rig for anything!

eastbank

the little 77/44 is deadly as sin out to 135 yds,28grs h-110 with a 200gr hornady jsp. it goes close to 2000fps and hits a marboro pack at 100yds from a rest and a 4x burris mini ss scope. eastbank.

Last edited:

bamaranger

I do not have the bolt gun, but have killed a few whitetails w/ a Ruger .44 mag auto, and watched my Dad kill a few more with a Win 94 in .44 mag.

The .44 mag is plenty for whitetails, but it is not a 200 yd ctg. One hundred is more like it and 125 or so is likely max w/ a useable 100 yd zero. They drop like a stone. The mid range would be to high to be practical.

A bolt .44 is sort of a contradiction to me, I'd prefer the autos or a lever, but....
the stainless/synthetic bolt would seem dirt simple near fool proof and indestructible.

eastbank

the 77/44 will handle alittle more pressure than the lever or auto,but it still is not a long range rifle. they all suffer from needing a certain AOL shell to function right. in a good single shot(ruger,winchester), the 44 mag. realy shines. i have a winchester 94 timber carbine in 444 and i load 265gr hornaday flat nose bullets to 1700fps and it kills in front with out killing in back,i shot that bullet at 2000fps and it kicks like blue blazes. eastbank.

Crosshair

The .44 mag is plenty for whitetails, but it is not a 200 yd ctg
That's news to me. I shoot my 77/44 accurately with 44 Special loaded ammo out to 300 yards so far. You just need sights or optics that can account for the bullet drop.

eastbank

the 44 mag will shoot alot farther than 300yds, but the drop out there will make hitting a deer size animal in the kill zone very problomatic. if you are off just a few yards in your range estament, you will miss or just wound the animal. a 265gr bullet starting out at 1700fps and zeroed at 100yds is minus 17 inches at 200yds, minus 61 inches at 300yds,minus 138 inches at 400yds, minus 255 inches at 500yds according to hornady,s loading book. it,s not that they will not go that far, for they will. the drop is where the bugaboo is. if you tell me you have a rifle that is accurett and you have charted the bullet drop out to the ranges you are going to shoot and have a good lazar range finder with a good target scope that has good repeatable clicks you may get away with it,ho i forgot about the wind and that is a whole new story. eastbank. ps this what i shoot at the long range lead bullet shoots,a browning high wall in 45-70 with a weaver target Tseries scope, the target was shot at 300yds, if i had dialed in 2 inches left windage it would have been 30 with 3x.

Last edited:

hammie

"Crosshair" touched on something I was wondering about. I've been thinking about getting a 77/44. Since I have three .44 spl revolvers, I have tons of .44 spl brass. Will .44 spl brass, with jacketed bullets, feed reliably from the magazine of a 77/44?

Big Bill

WOW! Thanks for all the posts and comments everyone. You've all given me a ton of information to think about. I liked the pictures too.

BB

eastbank

keith only shot at the deer after it was already wounded by another hunter and did not want it to get away and suffer. no one said a 44 mag would not kill a deer at longer distances, only that it would be hard to make first shot hits due to bullet drop and wind drift. and keith was not just a ordenary pistol or rifle shot. put a 25 gallon can on its side out at 300yds, 400yds, 500yds, 600yds and take a poke at it and tell me how many first shot hits you get on it. it can be done but it takes alot of work getting the drop and wind figures together and applying them to a real hunt. i shoot a rem. xp-100R in .260 with a 2.5x8 leupold eer scope,and i only feel good at 300yds shots from a good rest. i have made longer hits on paper targets,but don,t feel good about live animals beyond that. eastbank. picture is of my xp-100R,s in 223 and 260.

Last edited: