Ruger 6.8 Ranch Rifle

mes228

Have one and like it, however the accuracy is still a problem with the new model. Went from 5-6 inches at 100 yards to 3-4 inches in 40 rounds. If groups would continue to shrink to 2" or so I'd keep the rifle. Anyone here have a 6.8 Ruger with lots of rounds down the tube? I've read internet reports that eventually the groups shrink to 1" or so. But at over 1$ a round a 200 round break in is right expensive on a $900 rifle. Great ergos, seems reliable - but the accuracy un-does it all. I guess I'm old school. A rifle with a scope should be a precision instrument and this one thus far simply isn't. Any advice appreciated. Ammo was Hornady Custom 110 gr. V-max.

thesheepdog

40 rounds should have broken in the barrel. Anything after that will just smooth out the action. Is your scope mounted down nice and tight?
Are you shooting from a bench? Do you get better groups with other guns?

I don't own a Mini 6.8, but i have heard of people getting 1.5 MOA with it.

mes228

Ruger

Yes all is tight and the scope good (Pentax 3x9). I was shooting with a friend, he has a new Mini 14 in .223 and I have the Ranch in 6.8 cal. Same rifle just different cal. It would be generous to say both shot 5-6 inch groups out of the box. Truth both shot 10-14" groups for a few rounds then started to diminish group size. On a reload the first round could pretty much go anywhere. I'm talking inches. Then the next rounds would hold 3-4 inch groups after 40 rounds. My friends .223 was worse than the 6.8. Both are the worst rifles I've fired including Chinese SKS 7.62. My friend is a dead eye shooter both with rifle and pistol (Bulls Eye Competitor) and on a bad day I never shoot over 2" or so if the rifle will do it. I can't believe Ruger (whose products I love and use) lets something like these rifles out the door. These are suggested retail rifles from Ruger at about $1,000 plus. I'd keep shooting the darn thing if someone can assure me that after enough rounds the accuracy will improve. GunBlast has a review that said after 60 plus rounds theirs went from 6-8 inches to 1" or so. That's really hard to believe.

thesheepdog

Are you letting the barrel cool every 3rd or 4th shot?

The only other thing i can recommend is that you shoot another box of ammo (20 rounds or so) and see if the group size closes up. Make sure you're sqeezing the trigger and holding after every shot.

Have you shot reloads through your guns yet?

I had an older mini-14 (with the pencil barrel) and i got about 2-3 MOA depending on ammo.

Sarge

I like Mini's but I won't keep a rifle around that won't do 2 1/2 MOA on demand- and that includes pistol caliber lever action carbines.

In my experience, Minis are prone to shift their claw mounts around until the settle in; I always shoot a magazine or two and then re-tighten the heck out of them. Hope you get it sorted out, anyhow.

Mawetta

An AR in 6.8 is double the mini price, plus not as reliable.

Your groups will improve , the 6.8 is a heavy barrel , right? You should be fine. Have you tried iron sight groups. Something just doesn't add up here.

mes228

Rifle

Well, I'd agree that something is wrong here. The Pentax came off of another rifle I have. The mounts are tight as are the scope rings screws. My friends Mini 14 is actually worse than the 6.8 I have. Mine did improve to some degree over 40 rounds. His improved very little. His .223 left the range still shooting 5" or larger groups (he has a Bushnell Elite mounted). Someone on here that really can shoot. And has shot one of these over a 100 rounds, please chime in. Do they get more accurate as the round count goes up?

thesheepdog

An AR in 6.8 is double the mini price, plus not as reliable.

I object! I have owned both types of rifle and both have jammed, only due to magazines (FTF). Otherwise both are perfectly reliabe, except the AR is going to have a better barrel and if it's a DI system-more accurate than a GP AR.

Anyway,

Try another ammo brand-if possible-and see if that changes anything.

mes228

Rifle

Most any AR will shoot 1 1/2 inches and a lot will shoot 1" with a little ammo experimentation. Today AR's are very little more expensive than the Ruger. I was, and am, just shocked at how inaccurate both of these new Rugers are. There's just no excuse for this. A rifle with a scope should be a precision instrument. At least a semi-precision instrument. Hell, there's a lot of military rifles from decades ago with military surplus ammo that will out shoot both of these Rugers. However, if it will "wear in" and tighten the groups to 2" or so I'd keep it. Great design, handy, reliable, not over weight, stainless w/synthetic stock. But what good is a rifle that you can't hit a rabbit with at 100 yards??Not every game shot will be at the lung/shoulder area of a whitetail deer ie 8-10 inches. If it takes 100-200 rounds to wear the components "in" to provide reasonable accuracy. Then Ruger should do it at the factory.

waterboy68

My mini-14 (.223) is the same way. I bought it brand new about 15yrs ago and have never gotten better than 5"-6" groups out of it. I didn't buy it expecting pinpoint accuracy, but I did expect better accuracy than what it gives. That's a shame too. It's fun to shoot, but mostly sits in my closet collecting dust.:( I usually just go for the AR now when I feel the need to put some lead down range.

Mawetta

I wanna see a picture of the groups using the Iron Sights,

Well, if you send it to Accusytems they will rebuild the Mini to get sub 1.5" guaranteed @100. It is around 500$ though, I want to do that with the 6.8 ranch myself. I was going to buy a 6-8 and get the accusystems custom built job. The mini is so awesome i think it is totally worth it, My 223 has never malfunctioned, the bolt system is similar to the M1 carbine and M1a it is just to awesome to beat. I freaking love the rifle! It is basically a better version of the AK, since it is as reliable but is built better with better rounds. You can even get the accu-system to build your mini for .308, 204 ruger etc. Def worth the price imo.

I'm a total mini-Fan though.

800$ for this build. http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

Chrome moly blued premium steel barrel
Barrel diameters- 1" Bull, .875" Varmint, .750" medium and .625"
Length from 16" to 24"
Twist rate to be determined by us depending on the weight & caliber of bullet. Finish on barrel satin matte or brushed.
3 point steel bedding pillars
New operating rod where needed or upgrade yours
True bolt & action if needed
3.5# match trigger with set and over travel if needed.
New over sized hand guard to fit thicker barrel
New gas block, sling swivel, gas pipe and operating rod cup bushing
Sub 1.5 MOA accuracy guarantee for 7.62 x 39 & 6.8 SPC unless you order a .850" x 24" barrel. All others 1 MOA (1.040" is a MOA) 3 shot group @ 100 yards with selected factory ammo or as stated when ordered.
Calibers available @ this price. (7.62x39, 7.62x.308 bore only in .750" diameter barrel and gas block.) 6.5 Grendel, 6mm PPC, 6.8 SPC, 22PPC, are available in 1", .875" and .750" diameters.

Bamashooter

i hate to hear that about your mini.. mine is a 580 series thin barrel and it would shoot 3'' groups right out of the box. when i added an accustrut, trigger job and trued up and retorqed the gas block it will shoot 1''-1.5'' groups all day. there are alot of things you can do to make it better, but i agree that you shouldnt have to for the money you shell out for them. i want a 6.8 mini but not if they are that bad. the biggest improvement i made to mine was the gas block. when i took mine apart there were machine marks all over both pieces. very uneven surfaces. i sanded it down and retorqed it and it made a huge diffrence. dont give up on it just yet. good luck bro. :)

Mawetta

Here is a review of a post 580,

Reviewed By: JEan-C G on 04/07/2010 Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]
Excellent right out of the box. Sights were already set pretty well. If you shoot more than two 20-round clips in a session, gets pretty hot but if you have to shoot that much that fast, you should get out of the battle or get a different gun.

Super quality. Post #580 serial numbers truly very precise @ 100 yds. +

mes228

Yeah, that's the ticket. Purchase a rifle that suggested retail is north of $1,000 then spend another $600. And in the end, end up with a rifle that an SKS will damn near out shoot. A Wally World Mossburg, Savage, Remington, Winchester, Ruger, or brand X rifle in any configuration will probably out shoot. Just about any rifle with today's ammo will shoot 1 1/2 inches out of the box. All I need to know is if anyone can truthfully tell me that 200 rounds down the tube will make this rifle a 2" rifle. If it will I'll keep it. If it won't, then I do not want it. Damn shame Ruger engineers such a great concept then falls down in the execution. If these things do not improve with shooting, what good are they? No rabbit, or any game, other than deer and larger. Are in danger at 100 yds. You sure can't enjoy shooting targets with a rifle this inaccurate. I think Ruger only makes 5 round mags so even the battle rifle concept is out. All I wanted was a reasonably accurate semi auto in 6.8 cal. for a knock about truck gun in stainless and synthetic.

gak

Mes228 wrote:
"...I think Ruger only makes 5 round mags so even the battle rifle concept is out. All I wanted was a reasonably accurate semi auto in 6.8 cal. for a knock about truck gun in stainless and synthetic. "
---
Ruger finally came out with hi cap (20 rd) Mini 30 mags, so I think it's just a matter of time for the 6.8. I'd stick it out. I agree with others' posts, something's amiss. Great round, great rifle...it'll get there.

thesheepdog

Build it as an AR, mes228. You've already talked yourself out of the Mini.

+1 on that! Build a custom AR, and i promise you will be satisfied. It may not have the Garand action, but, it is just as good, only, made out of aluminum. :D

MosinM38

Do a search for "Mo rod" "Har bar" and "Accu strut",, I think they'll fit the 6.8 model and boy do they help ;)

Halved groups on my Mini.