Ruger .45 ACP questions

SPEMack618

Looking at making a used hand gun purchase with my tax returns.

Is there any substantial performance difference between the P-90 and the later P-345?

I'm skewing towards the P-345 because of the rail. However, online reviews lead me to believe that the P-90 is on par with the SiG P-220 accuracy wise.

Thanks for any input.

mcb66

The P-90 is a great weapon. All steel and a superb action. I have never ran a P-345. It may be just as slick, not sure.

weblance

I have both. The ergonomics are better on the 345. Its thinner, and feels better in the hand. It also feels like it has softer recoil. The 345 is easier to conceal because its thin. Accuracy wise, they are the same.

lee n. field

Looking at making a used hand gun purchase with my tax returns.

Is there any substantial performance difference between the P-90 and the later P-345?

I'm skewing towards the P-345 because of the rail. However, online reviews lead me to believe that the P-90 is on par with the SiG P-220 accuracy wise.

Thanks for any input.

P345 has a magazine disconnect. P90 does not. Easy to remove (so I read), if that's what you want. If you dry fire the P345 without a magazine, and with the magazine disconnect in place, you risk damage (peening, I think) to the firing pin.

Magazines between those two, and the P97, are the same (despite different part numbers). 7 or 8 round. They look similar to 1911 magazines (but are not).

The P-90 is a great weapon. All steel and a superb action.

Aluminum frame.

My description would be "utilitarian service pistol".

I like my RIA GI better.

used hand gun purchase

What price are you seeing?

Last edited:

MandolinMan

My first center-fire pistol was an old, battered Ruger P90. I've said before on this forum that while the P90 is not nearly as 'refined' as say a Sig P220, I've found it to be every bit as reliable and accurate. I've shot loads of the worst steel and aluminum case ammo that Wally World sells and never once have I seen the slightest malfunction.

Sevens

The P-90 is a fine handgun and a great value as long as you are aware of it's limits before you buy. It is big and gangly and while subjective-- it is pretty homely to most eyes. You are extremely limited in grip options and holster options. And the trigger is fine if you aren't spoiled by 1911 triggers.

Frame is aluminum but overbuilt and as durable as you'll ever ask, but it makes the pistol chunky and not sleek. The sights are solid and durable but I don't know if there are any options for upgrade whatsoever. The pistol is solidly accurate for general use but it's not a match target pistol.

There is a lot of value in the typically VERY low price on a P-90, but for a lot of reasons, it may not be a good value today because of the limitations.

Range fun, hard working outdoor bang-around tool or night stand home defense? Perhaps! Concealed carry, security/duty/professional use or competition? Money poorly spent.

Simply my thoughts after 5 years with a fantastic P-90. I have zero experience with the P-345.

SPEMack618

$300 for the P-90, $350 for the P-345.

I have a P-95DC as does the lady friend. They're fun. Night stand gun and a truck gun. Shoot the P-95 in three gun occasionally.

Sort of leaning torwards the P-90, but I keep thinking that having a rail gives me a little bit more usefulness of the gun.

jmr40

Frankly, I'd keep looking. I've had both, both are now discontinued and I'd not go back to either. There are better options.

The 345 is worth the extra $50. The only negative is the mag safety. Most mag safeties will not allow the hammer to fall with the mag out of the gun. The Ruger will, but there is a firing pin block in place if the mag is removed that prevents the gun from firing.

But doing so by dry firing the gun with no mag will damage the firing pin block. And it takes VERY few dry fires before the gun simply won't fire at all.

Ruger didn't even realize the problem when the guns were 1st shipped. The owners manuals said dry fire was OK. I had one of the early ones and it did this. Ruger fixed the gun and provided a new owners manual stating that dry fire was fine, but only with an empty magazine in the gun.

Either one of these would be a better option, and just aren't that much more expensive.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s_id/24043/Smith+&+Wesson+M&P+M2.0+45+ACP+4.6

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ducts_id/84870/Ruger+3800+SR45+10+1+45ACP+4.5

tranders

I bought a P-90 in the mid 90's. Pistol shot and functioned well, but found due to the high bore axis and ergonomics of a concrete block I didn't enjoy shooting it.

Northrider

I have always enjoyed my P90. It is not light, and not really concealable unless you have big pockets or a very loose fitting shirt to cover the holster. It is a great range gun and I am not opposed to having it in the nightstand by the bed.

tallball

I like my P90 a lot. I got it within the past six months or so. It cost me $200 or something ridiculous like that. It's been reliable and a good shooter. I have huge hands, so I like 'em big and clunky.

jmstr

I found the P90 too large for my hands, and didn't care for the look. I know they work VERY VERY WELL- but I couldn't bring myself to buy one for the fit issues.

One that no one mentions that I have and like is the Ruger P97DC.

It as a polymer frame, but is larger than the P345 and doesn't have an accessories rail on the dust cover.

I bought mine in 2002 and still have it. I've bought/sold H&K USP 45s, Sig P220 Combat, SA 1911 Target, and S&W M&P .45, but kept the Ruger.

My group sizes are better with it than any of the above- and it cost me less than $300 out the door new.

I won't lose any sleep if I have it impounded by the police after having used it to defend my family. I would expect it back, but wouldn't worry about it.

If it were a $1400 1911 in .45, I'd be upset at the police keeping that gun.

There were reviews available on line for quite a while.

I prefer it to the 345 and the 90- but it is your call [and your money].

Good luck!

223 shooter

However, online reviews lead me to believe that the P-90 is on par with the SiG P-220 accuracy wise.

I used to own a German P220 and currently own a used first year production P90. The P220 was far more refined but of course cost much more. The P90 feels much better with Hogue grips and I did the same with the P220 as well.

I was able to fire the P220 more accurately but in fairness my eyesight was perfect back then and the Sig in single action mode had a better trigger.

I'd would handle the P90 and P345 and pick the one that feels best to you.

Danoobie

I've got a P90, JMHO:

Cons- Heavy, clunky, single stack.

Pros-Safety, decent sights, points well, reliable, well made, accurate,
good trigger.

Haven't shot the P345.

dgludwig

Sort of leaning torwards the P-90, but I keep thinking that having a rail gives me a little bit more usefulness of the gun.

To state the obvious, if you don't plan on using a pistol-mounted light, a rail offers no usefulness; if you do plan on mounting a light, a rail becomes almost indispensable.
Personally, I like the albeit "clunky" P-90 with its admittedly high bore axis and single-stack magazine for much the same reasons as offered by Danoobie, Sevens and others: for its durability, decent trigger, generally good accuracy and reliability. A relatively low price is also an incentive.

Siggy-06

The Ruger P-series were bricks, heavy but strong/reliable. A P95 was my first centerfire pistol, it was on the thick side but I even carried it iwb for a while. Get the one with a rail if you see yourself ever using it.

Sevens

Each of us has financial and budget constraints that we work within, and I don't know yours but given this post ^ I would suggest that you consider if the money allows you to upgrade hardware in your quest for a terrific DA/SA .45.

The Ruger P-90/P345 is one solid option.
A better option (IMO) for likely a little more money is going to be the Smith & Wesson 3rd Gen series of DA/SA .45 pistols. Here you can pick a specific size that may be a better fit and you're gaining a rock solid reputation and (depending upon model) you're also upgrading to full stainless frame, better sights, more options, better parts availability, better aftermarket support and (in my opinion) a better all around pistol. Just more choices, more offerings, more support.

However, likely more money than the Ruger offerings. And the Ruger is certainly not a bad choice and may be the correct choice.

SPEMack618

Can you still gets mags for the 45xx series though?

Kinda why I was skewing towards the Ruger was Midway and our distributor has new production factory mags for sale.