Ruger 44 Carbine RS Price? Function?

superpelly

I Can get a Ruger 44 Carbine RS, Tube feed, (Manufacture rear sight and swivels) The bluing is about 98% but the stock is a little beat up. I can get it for $299.00. Are parts hard to get if needed? Any issues? This carbine was produced in 1975.

thanks

dmazur

Those are great little carbines.

* Parts are generally unavailable, except places like Numrich occasionally get a few scattered bits.
* They are gas-operated and require jacketed bullets.
* The feed mechanism doesn't like "long" cartridges, so some of the heavy .44Mag loads (Garrett) won't feed.
* Even if you seat heavy bullets to a second canellure to make OAL, the twist is 1:38 and won't stabilize heavy bullets.
* They aren't known for being accurate. 3-4" groups at 100 yds, I believe.
* Weaver bases are available for mounting a scope. 1-4X or red dot suggested.

Other than those limitations, a lot of folks love them. Four quick shots of 240gr JSP is what they offer.

uncyboo

Looking at GunBroker and recent gun shows that looks like a good price, of course depending on condition.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
If I saw one at that price, I'd buy it. :) However, dmazur is spot on - it's a heck of a 75 yard thumper, but accuracy fell off quickly as the distance increased in the ones I was exposed to. Down here, they make excellent brush guns for deer or hogs. :cool:

4sixteen

I have a newer revised 44 magnum Deerfield carbine with a 4 shot rotary clip, picked one up new before Ruger discontinued these a few years ago. The ones with a tube magazine were made for several years beginning in the '60's then discontinued in the '80's.

I think around 2001 the revised carbine was available then was discontinued around 2006.

Great handling little rifle with considerable wallop at close range. :cool:

45xtp.jpg

Noonan

Just my opinion, but the SKS has several advantages over the Ruger:
  1. 10 round capacity
  2. Cheaper ammo
  3. More accurate
  4. Longer range
  5. Spare parts readily available
  6. Ultra-reliable

bamaranger

+1

dmazur has got it all right. If its mechanically sound, that is a good price.
Parts are near non-existant. I've worked up 200 gr bullet load for mine, which has helped w/ the inaccuracy issues due to slow twist rates. 180-'s do even better, but penetration is limited, and up close, they tend to fragment as the carbine drives them a lot faster than a handgun.

The old style carbines are lighter than the newer mag fed ones I believe.
They are a LOT shorter and lighter than an SKS too.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that the factory leaf and bead sights give a very short sight radius, which does not help the accuracy issue. To combat this, I set one of mine up w/ XS ghost ring and post. The other has a USA 2.75X redfield. Both make them more shootable.

The carbine that wears the Redfield thumped a 151 lb, AL 7-point yesterday evening, range 30 yds. 200 gr Hornady JHP reload. Bullet was recovered and was about the size of a nickel. DRT.

PetahW

*$300 is a good buy

*The stock refinish is E-Z

*Stick to what it was designed for - 240gr JSP/JHP ammo

*Parts/service are hard to get, as posted above

*Do Not Buy one w/o inspecting the trigger housing for a cracked/broken attachment tongue - the housing is non-repairable AND unobtainium.
(test via wriggling the front of the bottom metal up/down in relation to the receiver with the stock on - ANY movement is a deal-breaker)

*This is a normal 100yd group from mine, using the cheapest 240gr JSP I can find.
The target rings are 1" apart.

GKRXO-.44Group.jpg

In my experience, deer/etc don't stick around very long - like for shooting a group.
It's more important IMHO that the first shot hit the POA, every time.
Mine's never had a problem doing that.

BTW - There are 8 members in my annual deer hunting party, 7 of whom have been using an old model Ruger .44 Carbine with complete satisfaction over the last 25 years.

Last edited:

bamaranger

wow!

That is a VERY good 100 yd .44 Ruger Carbine group. Two touching and the other inside an inch.

My two will not come close w/ factory 240's or my light bullet reloads, and I've shot them both quite a bit.

PetahW, I'd be most curious to know if the other 7 guys in your group experience such accuracy? My only experience w/ the carbines is the two old models I own, and a newer one a friend has. HIs new rifle is by far more accurate than either of my two older models. Your comments regards shooting for group and hunting accuracy are noted. The issued w/ my two rifles has been that w/ 240 gr and heavier accuracy has been marginal, With a 9" pie plate as an aiming point, I get 4-6 inch groups, w/ flyers exceeding that.

Ruger must have suspected something was up w/ the old models, 'cause they changed the twist rate in the new ones, and the lever and bolt rifles to 1-20", as opposed to the old model 1-38".

I'm very fond of mine and they will not be for sale. I wish they would shoot heavy bullets well but mine do not, obviously yours will.

Did know that Bill Ruger took the early .44 carbines to Africa and thumped some medium game over there with them? His s pro hunter was impressed w/ their killing power, as opposed to their diminutive appearing cartridge.

PetahW

Most of the other .44 Carbines in my party will do as well.

All are tube feed old model Auto Carbines, purchased "used".

(The odd man out shoots/hunts/uses a Rem 742)

The ones that don't appear as accurate look to have a bit of rifling/crown wear from some previous owner's over-zealous cleaning regimen. (FWIW, I only wipe out my bore once a year)

Some carbines are scoped (none over 3x), some are peep-sighted, and one uses the issue open/iron sights and another a red dot sight.
One of the above has been restocked in a Fajen mannlicher-type, full-length stock, the rest are as issued.

Mine wore a 2x scope when I shot that 100yd group, but I've since switched back to a peep sight on it.
My peep sight groups are only slightly larger - go figure.

I've also glass-bedded the rear action seat into the stock, on mine and two of the others - since they were enough out of line that the barrels were held slightly off-center of the barrel channel sans barrel band, which I felt was affecting accuracy negatively.

The inside/bottom of the barrel band(s) should be filed for clearance, so it they can be screwed together TIGHT.

I've also found that they all shoot somewhat tighter, if they're benched/targeted like they're hunted - with NO part of the gun touching anything other than a body part.

The ones I have shot shoot best when held tightly in both hands and pulled firmly back into the shoulder, while leaving the trigger finger free to function.

That means not resting the forend or barrel on a sandbag or other front rest, nor letting the butt rest in a sandbag or rear rest or touching the bench.

I hold the forend in my forward hand tightly, with that hand between forend and rest while pulling down and back at the same time.
I grasp the PG tightly also, pulling the butt hard, straight back into my shoulder.

YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

martin08

Buy it!

I've had mine for 35 years and still use it as my primary deer rifle.

Keep it clean and lubricated or it will jam. My brother's is the same way. Incidently, they were $109 new in 1974.

superpelly

I bought it a few days ago. Took it apart, cleaned it. Bought some cheap Blazer 240gr JHP ammo, Shot it 20 times with no problems. 40 yards free standing, hits were in the middle of the paper plate. Seems accurate at 40 yards. Don't know about 100 yards will find out soon.

Anybody have problems using the soft JHP 240Gr ?

bamaranger

Super, you will not reget it.

Petah, all very interesting comments, thanks. Your bunch seems like a very interesting crew. I get ribbed quite a bit about my "marble shooter".

They're still not for sale.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Super, for deer (and you guys get some big ones there) I think they would work OK. I tend to favor 240 JSPs myself. Bamaranger's post on using a 200 grain JHP indicates that it works fine for him, but I like two holes in my critters. :D

varoadking

I've also found that they all shoot somewhat tighter, if they're benched/targeted like they're hunted - with NO part of the gun touching anything other than a body part.

The ones I have shot shoot best when held tightly in both hands and pulled firmly back into the shoulder, while leaving the trigger finger free to function.

That means not resting the forend or barrel on a sandbag or other front rest, nor letting the butt rest in a sandbag or rear rest or touching the bench.

I hold the forend in my forward hand tightly, with that hand between forend and rest while pulling down and back at the same time.

I grasp the PG tightly also, pulling the butt hard, straight back into my shoulder.

Wanna run that by us again...just in case you missed something... :p