ruger 22s: semi-auto vs revolver

idek

I'm considering buying either a Ruger semi-auto or a Single Six for someone as a gift, but I'm not sure which way to go.

First of all, the Single Six wins the personality contest in my mind. And the 22mag cylinder is a nice bonus.

I'm wondering, however, if I could expect that same type of accuracy from the revolver as I could from the semi-auto. I know in some cases, revolvers are more accurate than semi-autos, but the Mk series guns seem to have more precise sights than the revolvers.

Put another way, I have a Browning Buckmark that's accurate enough for small game hunting. Could a Single Six be precise enough for this?

Also, the grip on the Single Six seems small. Is this an issue for some people or was I maybe just holding the gun incorrectly? (I'm not very familiar with single action grips)

Eagle0711

The Ruger semi-auto comes in lots of models, some with bull barrels, and adjustable sights, you can even mount an electric sight for better accuracy.

These guns in the Mark I, II,and III series are dependable, and accurate. Hard to beat for the money.

Limited experience with yhe single six. Perhaps others will chime in.

Cajun Ken

I own and like both the Single Six and a 22/45 MKIII Target Model. I agree that the Single Six wins the personality contest, but I find the MKIII more fun to shoot. They are both great pistols, and you can't go wrong with either one or both.

dahermit

The Ruger Autos are great "working guns", for dispatching varmints (raccoons, opossums, skunks, etc.), around the farm as well as chicken harvesting...you do not have to chase them.

Daryl

The Ruger Autos are great "working guns", for dispatching varmints (raccoons, opossums, skunks, etc.), around the farm as well as chicken harvesting...you do not have to chase them.

So are the rimfire Ruger revolvers; plus you can shoot .22 shorts and longs through the revolver without having to feed them single shot..

Seriously, it's a matter of preference IMO. Both shoot well, and both are plenty accurate enough for small game hunting. The Mk series may have an edge on the Single Six in bullseye shooting, but either will work fine for small game.

Daryl

Hog Red

i have the single six and like the mag cylinder as well. to me the auto is easier to point and grip. the grips on the revolver do not fit the hand all that great in my opinion. cant go wrong with either one though.

nogo

I own both and would not part with either. The Single-Six has a long, heavy hammer fall ending with a clunk. Pulling the trigger with the other results in a click. Both are capable of target accuracy, but the SS is more difficult to shoot accurately. Follow your gut(or heart). You'll have both eventually.

zzbruno

Whatever you do, don't shoot a Ruger SP101 .22 in 4". Unless you have the chance to buy one, you'll be disappointed with anything else (except a 4" Cold Diamondback).

I got one recently and aside from the Diamondback, it's the smoothest shooting .22 revolver I've ever owned.

idek

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone comment on the standard MkIII vs. the 22/45? I realize the 22/45 is supposed to have the grip angle and function locations of 1911 guns, but is there any other difference. Is one kind better than another or is it just personal preference?

joegator

I have a single -six SS with 6 inch barrel and would highly recommend it. With the 22 mag cylinder its like having two guns in one. Its fun to shoot and as said has a lot of personality. My friend recently bought one with a long barrel and scope which has proven to be very accurate.

Ichiro

It's personal preference. The MKIII is all steel and weighs a lot more, its grip angle resembles a Glock, and it's more comfortable in most hands.

The 22/45 is half polymer and weighs a lot less. It's less comfortable because it has no grip panels and is really thin. But it does match the grip angle of 1911s, Browning High Powers, XDs, and most other pistols.

I think the all-steel construction of MKIIIs is total overkill, and I like the fact that my 22/45 points nearly the same as my XDs and is light-weight.

Your call.

Mike38

I have a Single Six, a 22/45, and a MkII. Accuracy wise from a bench rest, all three are equal in my hands. Accuracy while standing two handed or one handed, the Single Six moves quickly to the bottom of the list. I plain hate the grip on a Single Six. I have what would be considered medium/small sized hands, and still the grip surface is way way too small. I’d sell the Single Six, but I inherited it from my late Father, so it’s staying right here. He used it for rattle snake hunting in the desert west of ElPaso Tx. If only that revolver could talk.

Lost Sheep

Really?

zzbruno said:
Whatever you do, don't shoot a Ruger SP101 .22 in 4". Unless you have the chance to buy one, you'll be disappointed with anything else (except a 4" Cold Diamondback).

I got one recently and aside from the Diamondback, it's the smoothest shooting .22 revolver I've ever owned.
I own two. They have the worst double action trigger pull of any revolver I have ever owned. Very heavy pull, and the grips are small. My Smith & Wesson K-22 Masterpiece was MUCH better, but not as good as my Colt Trooper (which is a .357, but the trigger is REALLY nice. Then there are my Dan Wessons (22 RF and .357 Magnum).

Has your SP had an action job?

Back to the Rugers. Having knocked my SP101s, I have to say that I would not part with either of them. They are great companion pieces to my SP .357s. (and the trigger feel of all of them are very similar). Perhaps I should submit them all for action smoothing.

I also own Ruger Mark IIs and a Single Six 22 RF. I find them supremely accurate, especially my 10" barreled Mk II. Shoots like a rifle.

To answer the OP's questions:

The grips on single-action western-style revolvers does leave the little finger with nothing under it. That's just the traditional shape. You have to get used to it or find some "oversized" grips.

If I were going out for jackrabbits or Ptarmigan or such with a 22, I would be hard pressed to choose between the Single Six and the Mark II (or III or I, but it is Mark IIs that I own).

For pure, plinking fun, the Semi-automatics usually get the nod. I can go through more targets faster with them.

Good shooting.

Lost Sheep

gyvel

So are the rimfire Ruger revolvers; plus you can shoot .22 shorts and longs through the revolver without having to feed them single shot..

Not to mention shot cartridges.

n.b. Avoid an SP101 like the plague. If you "short travel" the trigger in rapid fire, it will lock up tighter than a drum on you. You have to make a conscious effort to fully release the trigger after each shot.

Leejack

Hello!:D
8-7-08010-1.jpg

KMO

When faced with a difficult choice between two guns, find a way to buy both I always say. Actually, I own both a Mark III Hunter (ss 6 7/8" barrel) and a Single Six. With a nice red dot sight perched atop the Mark III, the accuracy is no contest between the two. The Single Six is a great shooter, though, and the slower pace of single action shooting and loading one round at a time is going to save you a few bucks...:cool:

(By the way, you will simply not find better customer service than what you will find at Ruger. If either handgun should ever give you any trouble, you'll be pleased that you chose this manufacturer.)

44 AMP

Staff
Personal preference...

Having had a Ruger Super Single Six convertable(adj sights, WMR cylinder) for over 25 years, and a Ruger Mk I target (6 7/8" tapered barrel adj sights) for over 30, I con't see how you would be displeased with either one.

Both are as accurate as the shooter, and then some. But they are completely different feels. The auto is fast, and lends itself to rapid fire very well. Which is why I got the single action, :D because I needed to teach my kids to shoot. Aiming each shot is important, and the semiauto is just too easy to empty, too fast.

I have several Blackhawks, and have oversize grips on them, but I never bothered with that on the Single Six. Yes, the grip is small, but so what? Its only a .22, there is enough to hang on to, and since recoil is not an issue, I never bothered.

Oddly enough, for me, my Single Six seldom shoots where I aim when I use the sights, but hits exactly where I point it when I don't bother to aim!:D
(not strictly true, the Single Six is accurate with the sights, it just seem like it points better than it aims, for me.)

One thing I have not used much is the .22 WMR cylinder. Never found a need, .22 Mag shells are insanely expensive for something not reloadable (I'm cheap), and outside of a few cylinders worth way back when, just to see how it shot, (which was ok) I put it up, and haven't bothered with the .22WMR in decades.

One thing about the Ruger .22 autos, remember that sport pistols are not intended to be detail stripped like service pistols. Even field stripping is not a simple task, and should not be done unless necessary, and it rarely is. The auto can be kept clean and running for decades without taking it apart. The Ruger design is a bit tricksy to get back together, so if your friend is the kind that just has to take everything apart, the Single Six might be a wiser choice.