Ruger 22/45 Project

LloydXmas250

So I have a Mk III 22/45. It was my first handgun and is the cause of my gun habit now. I love this gun a lot but lately it has been neglected by me. I really would like to take up a project and get it running better than ever and make it once again my favorite gun. I had some ideas and a few products but I'd like to hear the opinions and first hand experience from others to see if these are good ideas or really worth it.

First off, I'd like a new trigger system. Now I'm not going to be competing with this gun and the stock trigger isn't horrible but I'd like something more responsive and just better. I've seen the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and have seen many good reviews for it. Is this a worthwhile kit? And although I can detail strip and fix 1911s and my AR I've never fiddled with a 22/45s internals. Will that be too difficult or should it be easy to grasp and install? Here's the kit in question... Volquartsen Accurizing Kit

Second, I need to get rid of the magazine disconnect. I hate it. I hate that mags don't fall free either and I've read the by replacing the Mk III bushing with a Mk II bushing I can get rid of this issue. Can someone confirm this and let me know how to accomplish this?

Third, and this is the least important, I was thinking about putting on a Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit. Not that disassembly and reassembly are so unbelievably hard, cause it's not, but I like the idea of the simpler strip. Less to worry about and just makes cleaning that much faster. I've also read that if I buy this version... Speed Strip Kit that it will get rid of the mag disconnect. I thought I read somewhere else though that this kit with the Volquartsen kit is slightly different and I may have to adjust things during reassembly.

Regardless of what I do, I'd like for the first two to happen for sure so if anyone has any experience and can lend me some info on how to do this I would surely appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Stealth01

I also have a MK III which I purchased to tinker with. I put the full VQ (hammer, sear, trigger and springs), removed the mag disconnect and replaced with a MK II spacer and deactivated that Kindom of Kalifornia "loaded chamber" indicator. The gun shoots beautifully! There are several excellent tutorials on the VQ upgrades... and you will really know your gun when you're done!!

e1bce23c.jpg

Stealth01

How did you kill the load chamber indicator?

Pull the barrel off of the handgrip, use a magnet to remove the pivot pin on the LCI (several threads on how to do this), remove the LCI "round finger", reinsert the LCI and pivot pin. Done!!

tom234

After you drop in a VQ target trigger & sear you'll realize the the OEM trigger WAS horrible. My MKIII678 I ended up with a 1# 12.9 oz trigger pull and I estimate, based upon a friends MKIII, that the OEM trigger pull was ~3# 10.5 oz. I completely removed the LCI and mag disconnect from my Ruger.
I don't consider the "Speed Strip Kit" is necessary. Ruger .22s don't require routine disassembly; only when you have problems [maybe after several thousand rounds].
I know the MKII hammer bushing is installed to tighten up clearance & slack thereby improving overall trigger function. I don't recall the bushing freeing up magazines so they drop easier. Check the Gun Talk site below for a magazine fix.
I recently purchased VQ target trigger & sear parts for a 22/45 I have on order and this place to be the most reasonable with no S&A charges:
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=VC2

For detailed info on the Ruger .22 models check these links out:
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=356e890118e430494e1d96eae5d2d22f
http://www.guntalk-online.com/

Last edited:

LloydXmas250

Sorry. I read somewhere that a Mk II bushing would disable the magazine disconnect which doesn't let the spring shoot the mag completely out. I'll check out those sites and start from there.

I was also considering adding grips but I am a little hesitant to drill into my gun. Anyone know if this is doable or should I send it to someone for this mod?

tom234

Grips ? The standard 22/45 models have just a plastic frame and no provisions for grips. However, the newer "RP" models have wood grips similar to the 1911. I'll be getting the #10140 model which has wood grips and hope to add shims to get closer to the 1911 1 1/4" thickness. Standard 22/45 frames are pretty thin, ~1", but I think the RP models are a little thicker.

LloydXmas250

I have the plastic frame that has no real width to it. There is a mod where you grind down the plastic and drill holes for real 1911 grips. That's what I'm talking about. I found one guy who does this mod for not too much. He goes by Kingshouse41225. Here's some of his work. Kingshouse Grip Mod

tom234

That's obviously a grip modification to a MKII 22/45 and I think they milled frame flat in the grip area. The MKIII 22/45 frame is considerably "thinner" and thus I don't know if one can modify the MKIII for grips. That is why I have waited for the RP models to come out.
Are the sides [grips] flat on the MKIII 22/45 ? I don't recall. Perhaps all you need are 1911 Grip Screw Bushings and a set of grips. You may be able to get the screws from Ruger. Maybe someone that already has a RP model can enlighten you as to how the Grip Screw Bushings are attached. I'd have to dig to find out what the thread are on the 1911 Grip Screw Bushings.

LloydXmas250

You're right that those are specifically MkIIs but he does it for MkIIIs as well. The grip is thin but not flat. It's more a matter of flattening out the plastic for the grips. Then he taps for the grip bushings and attaches the grips.

hulley

Very cool. I'm looking to get a 22/45 and am planning a Pac-lite threaded upper and a AAC Element suppressor. Although its kinda hard to justify the $500 + $200 tax stamp for a .22lr pistol, but they are very quiet and just plain cool! :D

Japle

Posted by Lloyd:
What kind of bolt do you have in that? I looks different in the rear. Easier to use?

It's the factory bolt, but with a titanium racker attached.

The thing is supposed to stay on with just the set screws, but it tends to wander as the bolt cycles. Grinding a couple of shallow dimples in the rear face of the bolt solved that little problem.

Anyone who owns one of these has probably been bitten at least once. The racker keeps your fingers out of the pinch point.

Topwracker.jpg

Last edited:

Merad

I'm sending my 22/45 off to Kinghouse from Rimfire Central (linked above) in the next few days to have the grip mod and several other things done.

Anyone who owns one of there has probably been bitten at least once. The racker keeps your fingers out of the pinch point.

Happened to me on day 1. :eek:

Merad

Will do. Mine should end up looking something like what he posted in this thread. In addition to the grip mod, I'm having him put in the mag release extension, slingshot mod on the bolt release and remove the mag disconnect.

dsb1829

It is a fun little gun to play around with.

Here is my 22/45 MK III:
IMG_0408.JPG

It's fairly mild in terms of modifications. Pac-Lite upper, MKII bushing, removed mag disconnect, and a set of grips. I have a couple of different optics that I can easily swap out and still hold zero on the rail. If you really want a world of information check out rimfirecentral. Lots of folks doing a ton a mods as well as sharing the wealth.

Only limit to what you can do with these little pistols is the amount of cash that you can devote to them :rolleyes:

As far as the Speed Strip kit, I would skip it. Once you get used to the field strip process it is not a necessary add on.