Ruger 22/45 bolt release question

spacecoast

I just bought a plastic-framed 22/45 as another plinking pistol and cannot get the bolt to go forward on an empty chamber, whether or not the magazine is in, the safety is on/off or by pressing the bolt catch (which only seems to function when a round is in the magazine). So I am stuck with the bolt back on an empty chamber. When a round is in the magazine, everything seems to be OK (without having actually fired a round yet).

What am I doing wrong, or is this normal?

weblance

Pull the bolt back, and while holding the bolt lock lever down, release the bolt. If the bolt doesnt go forward, then something is wrong.

spacecoast

Mark III or Mark II 22/55?

It's a 4" Mark II Target (although it doesn't say Mark II), manufactured about 2000. No LCI. I think I found the problem, the gun had some old dried up oil in it and the bolt release was very stiff. I also found this...

IMG_1346600x800_zpsd2b17a92.jpg

I switched it out with the equivalent part in my older Mark II, cleaned and oiled everything and all is good now. :) I got a good price on the gun, so I can't be too upset about needing a $10 part.

Now to find the recoil spring assembly, Brownell's has it but I would like another magazine and they are out. :( Midway is out of both the assembly and the magazines. :(

Pilot

I have a four inch bull barrel MK II era 22/45. I can not sling shot the bolt but must use the slide release to chamber a round. I just thought this is how the pistol was designed.