Ruger #1A in .303 British

hammie

Has anyone heard rumors about this rifle being offered in the US? I could find nothing about it at the ruger website? Are the rumors merely a cruel joke?

horseman308

I've never heard of such, but if one is actually produced, please YELL it loudly. I'd love one of these. I don't care whether people think the .303 is outdated or anything else; it's a classic cartridge that belongs in that classic rifle design, and it would be awesome. :)

fisherman66

Yup, Lipsey's is the distributor. I believe they are making 250 rifles. 200 go to Canada and 50 for the US. If Ruger is making them based on a que, the 250-3000 Stainless and Walnut will be made first then the .303. Put me down for a 250-3000.

hammie

After posting this, I've found some blogs in canada where they're talking about this. The canadian shooters are all quivering and shaking like a school bus full of children, and I can't blame them. Some australians are even trying to get the rifles. With only 50 #1's going to the US, there will be little hope of getting one. They will be sold before they reach the dealer's shelves. Ruger's marketing department should be eliminated since they couldn't figure this one out. Mr. fisherman66: I've been looking for, and have been unable to find, a savage 14 chambered in .250 savage. Maybe, I will be able to find the ruger #1 in .250 savage.

fisherman66

Hammie, if you walk in to a Lipsey's dealer with cash in hand you might be able to reserve one. If you wait until Ruger has finished production you are probably out of luck.

hammie

Mr. Fisherman: I just went to the lipsey's website and used their dealer locator. I'll give your suggestion a try. (For all you other shooters out there, do not try this. Mr fisherman's suggestion is a bad one.)

horseman308

While we're on the subject:

Let's assume that since there are only 250 apparently coming to N. America (and most of those to Canada) and it'll be very hard to get one (assuming you don't take Fisherman's suggestion - it agree, it's terrible and you all should ignore ;) ).

What would it take to have an existing # 1 action altered to take .303? I figure getting a barrel chambered wouldn't be too difficult, and I know that #1's take rimmed cartridges, at least in .45-70. So, would it really be that hard to find a gunsmith who would be willing to alter the ejector and other parts necessary? Just thinking out loud, as it were. Thoughts?

hammie

Mr. horseman: I've thought about that, but the problem might be finding the barrel blank. Barrels with a .308 groove diameter are everywhere but I've not seen any with a .311 grove dia. from any of the common sources (midway or brownells). I guess you could chamber a .308 barrel and then have a wildcat .308-.303 brit. but that would somehow take the fun out of it. What we need to do, is keep up the negative re-inforcement. That'll mean 25 rifles for you and 25 for me.

Last edited:

horseman308

What we need to do, is keep up the negative re-inforcement. That'll mean 25 rifles for you and 25 for me.

That works for me - I'd have trouble shooting more than that anyway enough to make them all feel loved!

BlueTrain

According to my book about the Ruger No. 1 (not one I wrote, just one I have), someone even had a No. 1 made up in .32 S&W Long and I think it was a factory job. They made the No. 3 in .30 Government, probably marked .30-40. Although virtually the same rifle, the No. 1 is in an entirely different class. I believe that some European custom gunmaker bought some actions and turned out some with German style stocks and probably in calibers usually found in drillings but I've never seen one in person. Feeling rich today?

Jim Watson

If you want to build a .303 on an existing action, Pac-Nor makes proper barrels, .311", 5 groove, 10" twist.
http://www.pac-nor.com/barrels/

P.O. Ackley always spoke well of rimmed cartridges in actions that would support them right up to the rim. No case head exposure except for a very small extractor notch and no extractor groove to flow brass into if you got a little too enthusiastic with the powder.