Ruger 1911

kylen

It seems like everyone is selling a 1911 these days... just curious why Ruger has not "jumped on the bandwagon," so to speak...? I think they have the know how and capability to design a perfect 1911. Are they staying away from all metal pistols because of costs? I hope there will be a Ruger 1911 in the near future. Thoughts?

Auto426

This topic has come up before, and the general consensus seems to be that the 1911 market is about as over-saturated as it gets. Just about any company out there that thinks they can put a gun together makes a 1911 clone, and they have all the bases covered, from $400 starter guns to $3000 semi-customs. There isn't a whole lot of room for Ruger, and while they may be able to build a decent 1911 clone, do we really need anymore to choose from?

Ruger seems pretty content right now following the ever expanding concealed carry market with their Hard R line of lightweight concealable handguns. They are jumping on the bandwagon of lightweight polymer pocket guns with the LCP, LCR, and the LC9, and they keep expanding their fullsize and compact lines with the SR40 and SR9c. They seem to be slowly dropping their older metal framed framed designs and moving exclusively toward polymer, and you can't blame them since it keeps costs down and allows them to offer high quality weapons at bargain bin prices.

Last edited:

raftman

Because every time a new 1911 variant is released, a large number of people roll their eyes and think "oh look, it's yet another 1911." With 1911's, it seems like every point on the scale from cheap/basic to expensive/fanciful is already well-represented.

Furthermore, Ruger is simply a very uncool manufacturer, and the 1911 is also very uncool gun, put them together and you get more lameness than the market can bear.

kylen

@raftman...

Oh boy... I am willing to bet a lot of people on here will disagree with you that a 1911 is "uncool." But to each his own...

raftman

Oh boy... I am willing to bet a lot of people on here will disagree with you that a 1911 is "uncool." But to each his own...

Oh absolutely. But all of those people are also uncool. :D

hoytinak

Ruger shouldn't make a 1911 style gun. They may accidentally make a reliable 1911 that can get dirty, still function just fine and be had for a reasonable price. :D

Kreyzhorse

I am surprised Ruger hasn't made a 1911 but it's not like there is a shortage of them on the market. With Ruger's focus on the CCW market, maybe another larger auto just doesn't fit in with their plans.

zukiphile

kozak6 said:
They're waiting for KelTec to make one .

Perfect.

Ruger doesn't make a 1911 for purists, but what is a P345 but a 1911 with a an updated trigger system, magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, sig locking system and slide mounted safety?

I haven't been in the market for a gun in a while, but if Ruger made a 345 with a five inch barrel, slide mounted safety and adjustable sights, I would have to have one.

Smaug

Everyone's got a 1911?

So what? It didn't stop them from making an AR-15 clone, did it? (and pricing themselves out of the market, too)

What I think Ruger should do is design The Next 1911. Write down the things people love about 1911s: single action only, crisp trigger, thin, accurate, comfortable to shoot, etc.

Then, build a ground-up, MODERN gun that meets these specs at a fair price.

I have and like my 1911, but there are things about it that are definitely reminiscent of an old design. I can field strip mine without tools, but it takes about 4X longer than stripping a modern pistol. Having to worry about magazine reliability or reliability of certain ammo? That should also be a thing of the past.

If they built something very similar to the FNP 45, (double stack, full size service pistol, 45 ACP, 15 rounds) but made it a single stack (8 rounds) and with a narrower slide, they'd be on the right track.

Then, later, have a competitor to the Glock 36 (single stack compact 45) that doesn't pinch fingers.

Ruger needs to get back to innovating and stop making "Me too!" guns.

OsOk-308

Furthermore, Ruger is simply a very uncool manufacturer, and the 1911 is also very uncool gun, put them together and you get more lameness than the market can bear.

WOAH WOAH WOAH! I think that statement is completely erroneous on all all accounts! Ruger makes some of the coolest revolvers out there! The SR9 is pretty cool too. (Maybe not the p-series, but whatever.) And the 1911 is the most copied handgun of all time, how is that uncool?

Back to topic! Ruger may eventually make a 1911, I mean, they recently made an AR, anything is possible. However, if Ruger wants to make a 1911, they kinda missed an opportunity with 2011, unless they pump out a quick cheap one...

Will Beararms

Ruger is like Ford to me. Ford makes some absolute junk but some of their models are bullet proof. A Ruger 10/22 is bullet proof so is an M77.

SPUSCG

I expect one released at NRA show. Pine tree already casts 1911 frames, im sure they could make em at a nice affordable price.

BigJimP

I'm not sure the market can stand another low end 1911 ... :D

Well made 1911's are absolutely Cool ....very cool ....and timeless ....:cool:

CWKahrFan

"What I think Ruger should do is design The Next 1911."

That's kinda what I think too. I'd like one that doesn't weigh 3 lbs (!)... Why not a slim light-alloy version in the low-20's oz. range?... with small safety lock and slide stop...