Ruger 10/22

the blur

I have my Dad's Ruger 10/22 Carbine from the 80's era. Wood stock. What's the furthest this can be reliable at with a nice scope?

Can it get consistent at 200 yards ?

I'd like to turn it into a Coyote gun.

FITASC

I doubt you will have enough energy at 200 yards; think more like 50. If you want to kill coyotes at 200+ get a .223, 6mmBR or similar.

50 shooter

Listen to FITASC, the coyote will be pissed that you shot him that far out and will come over and sock you in the head!

Move up to a bigger caliber for shooting coyote, if all you do is wound it, that's being a bad hunter. Then you'll have to chase down a wounded and pissed off animal! Not fun in my book!

the blur

Dealing with state law. During archery season, you can't go bigger than a .22
and I already have the .22LR. Not wanting to invest in a .17, or .204

NoSecondBest

Most Ruger 10/22’s (stock guns, not customized) will not shoot that well at 100 yards, let alone 200 yards. The .22lr is not a coyote gun. Yes, it can kill a coyote if you hit it in the head and hit the brain, but other than that it won’t even reliably anchor all the woodchucks you hit with it unless hit in the head or spine. Some things just aren’t practical and this is one of them. Rather than try to adapt a gun you have to something it’s not designed for, find out what gun you NEED for the job and get one for the job. Like they say, “Stay in your lane Bro”.

ammo.crafter

22 hunting @ 200yds

I'm thinking unethical hunting with that combo.

As others have advised, if you are limited to 200 yd shots, a .22LR is a poor choice no matter what additions you may put on the rifle. The round will remain the same.

Look for a used .222 Remington; it's old school and you may be able to get a good deal on one.

Pahoo

Takes thought and planning

Pretty much concur with the previous replies. Being restricted to a .22LR then shorten up the range. I hunt Squirrels with a 10/22 and occasionally encounter a Coyote. If they are out of range, I "try" to call them in. When in range, say 50yds, I pick a vital area and follow up with some fast shooting. If you hit them right, you can actually get them spinning. I've never had a "drop-dead" shot with a .22LR and usually wind up trailing then. ....... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

jmr40

Accuracy wise 10/22's are all over the place. I have had some that would be lucky to hit a beer can at 50 yards. I have another that I will hit clay targets at 250 yards. But I wouldn't want to try to kill anything at 200 yards with it.

I'd say 50 yards is plenty. At 200 you need to move up to a 22 centerfire.

44 AMP

Staff
A 40gr bullet with a MV of 1255fps (Remington Golden bullet) is doing about 900fps or slightly less at 200 yds. The 140ft/lbs of ME is down to 71 ft/lbs.

Note that, at 200 yds it has HALF the energy it has at the muzzle.

And, according to the chart, from a 50yd zero, drop at 200 yds is 43.1 inches.

So, half the muzzle energy and a drop of over 3 and 3/4 FEET makes the .22 LR a poor choice for shooting anything at 200 yds.

Even IF your rifle will group well at that distance, for shooting animals at 200yds its a really poor choice.

And, I didn't mention wind drift at that range, which could put your shot off the mark by multiple FEET as well.

it is simply not enough energy for that range unless you're shooting paper targets. and the large amount of drop and wind drift will make shooting targets a real challenge.

Bayou

I have a 10/22 of the same vintage as OP's. A couple of observations:

1. The factory trigger was terrible - a gritty, creepy 6.5 pounds. I remedy this, I had the trigger worked by Brimstone who did a Tier 2 job on the trigger. It now breaks at a sharp 1.75 pounds,

2. This rifle is partial to standard velocity ammunition over high velocity. SV ammo gives nice groupings at 50 yards. Below is a pic of a fairly typical 50 yard grouping using CCI SV ammo.

No other work has been done to the rifle which bears a 4X scope of the same vintage as the rifle.

Pic:

Bayou

Pahoo

They are still that good !!

1. The factory trigger was terrible - a gritty, creepy 6.5 pounds.
I am a Ruger 10/22 - "family" fan and yes, the triggers "could" be better., for a variety of reasons. However, these can be upgraded quite easily and if I can do trigger upgrades, anyone can. ..... :rolleyes:

My longest , kill shot on a Squirrel, with a stock 10/22, was 80yds. In my book, again for a number of reasons, there is no better Squirrel rifle. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

Drm50

I had 10/22 when first out, still have it. It’s sighted 0 at 50 yds. No problem popping squirrels in the noodle at 0 to 60+. I never shot at 100 cause it ain’t practical. I had a single shot with heavy barrel and 16x scope. I could shoot 1.5” at 100 but that wasn’t practical either. A 22 set up like that is one range gun and generally worthless. I have 77/22 now that is my serious 22. Just had 4x. Can call the eye out to 60yd with it. 75yd is about the edge of practical for 22lr.

kymasabe

I must have bought a good one. I bought a carbine with wood stock at Walmart, I put a Barska 3-12x40 scope on it, and its been pretty darn accurate.

That being said, I wouldn't want to stretch its legs to 200 yards, especially if shooting at something like a coyote. Personally, I dont think .22lr is heavy enough for ethical shot at a coyote. You're definitely going to need something with a little more snot behind it.
I"d be looking for...a .243, or a .22-250, or even a .223.

Last edited:

kenny53

I have killed a coyote with a 10-22. It was about 5 yard. hunting rabbits and we walk into each other. Both of us stood looking and I drew first.
I would not try 200 yards, just too far for the round.

COSteve

It's not the rifle, it's the ammo. A 36grn .22lr rd just wasn't designed for and isn't suitable for long range shooting. Any wind, any breeze, any puff of wind and the bullet can drift feet wide at 200yds.

DaleA

Dealing with state law. During archery season, you can't go bigger than a .22

So are they really limiting you to .22LR or would a .223 be acceptable? I seem to recall there were some states that had .22 restrictions that would still let center fire calibers like .222 and .223 be used 'cause, you know, still a .22. But the old memory isn't what it used to be and I could be "mis-remembering".