Ruger 10/22 Stock Recommendation

Joe_Pike

I have the basic carbine Ruger 10/22 with a wood stock. I was going to switch to a Magpul X-22 but I have read some reports that the forend is a bit flimsy. So, I'm looking for some other recommendations for something stiff, reasonably light and comfortable that doesn't break the bank.

ballardw

You may get more targeted responses if describe the intended purpose and/or features you want.

A basic field stock could be quite different from one intended for one of the action shooting competitions or something "tacticool" such as making the rifle look more like an M1 Carbine.

eflyguy

Agreed. Without knowing intention, hard to say.

We compete in an offhand, 3-position match and have the Promag Archangel. The quick adjustments make it trivial to reconfigure between rounds. It's not lightweight, by design.

Scorch

I have the Magpul Hunter X22 stock. I picked it up because I do a lot of 10/22 accurizing work so I can test how well the rifles are shooting after the work. I am not absolutely in love with the Magpul, but it's a pretty good stock. Inletting is clean and the adjustable comb and LOP feature is nice.

Joe_Pike

Scorch, let me ask you this. I have read where some say that the forend is a bit flimsy and will be up against the barrel if you set it on a rest or use a bipod. Is this correct? I really like the looks of the stock and would think it would fit my needs but I don't want the barrel in contact with the forend while it is on a rest.

Last edited:

ms6852

Are keeping the same barrel? EABCO.NET has a stock that is a replica of the m1. If you plan to change barrel there are chassis that will accommodate the .920 barrels.

Scorch

I have read where some say that the forend is a bit flimsy and will be up against the barrel if you set it on a rest or use a bipod.
Never had that problem, and I've used the stock a bit on the bench. The Magpul forearm is plenty sturdy, especially when you take the barrel channel liner and turn it so the big side is up. This gives you plenty of clearance between pretty much any barrel shy of .950" and the stock. And the barrel channel liner acts as a forearm stiffener as well.

As far as what the stock does when putting it on a bipod, I don't do that so I don't know, but it does just fine sitting on sandbags.

Joe_Pike

I have no interest in tacticool. Mostly light and not terribly expensive. The more I read and learn about the 10/22, I'm finding out that a free float barrel isn't really a good thing for this particular rifle due to its design. I guess I'll just leave the stock alone for now and just install the Volquartsen target hammer and auto bolt release and go have some fun plinking.

Spats McGee

Administrator
FWIW, I have a Hogue stock on mine. I just recently put it on and only have a couple of hundred rounds through it. That said, I'm really enjoying it.

jmr40

I can't stand the shape or short LOP on the common standard 10/22 carbine. If at all possible I prefer to buy one of the sporter versions offered by Ruger. They don't cost significantly more than the standard carbine but you'll probably have to order one.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

If going with an aftermarket stock I find the Hogue to be hard to beat. I don't like Hogue stocks on centerfire rifles or shotguns, but the 10/22 version isn't bad at all.

IMO the Magpul is just too heavy and clunky, especially mated to the short, skinny carbine barrel. If used with one of the longer heavy target barrels maybe.

Onward Allusion

I'd dropped one of mine into a Ruger Charger poly stock and got the adapter for a standard 6 position buttstock & tube. Haven't weighed it on a scale but it's light.

Another option is the Blackhawk Axiom with a cheek riser. That one is even lighter.