Ruger 10/22 Stock and Scope Question

blume357

I picked up a Ruger 10/22 in stainless steel yesterday (1995 mnf). It strangly has was I've discovered is called an International stock. The wood is one piece that goes all the way to the end of the barrel with a stainless cap at the end. I don't want this stock, am going to replace it. So, my first question is what kind of price should I ask for the stock assuming it is sellable. (I think it different, but ugly) beautiful wood but not my style...

2nd question is the rifle came with iron sights and a 3/8" rail on the reciever. I want to install a scope and still be able to use the iron sights... what do I do? From rail (replace or keep?) to rings to low cost scope?

629 shooter

As for the stock you might try rimfirecentral.com and there are many 10/22 sections there including a stock forum. You may even be able to sell it there.

JJB2

i built a 1022 custom a few yrs ago and had the factory stock and barrel in the basement takin up space... i sold em to a guy here in iowa for $30 for a project he was doing.. like they said go rimfire central an see if anyone there wants to buy them from you..

blume357

I sold the stock

for the same price as a new Butler Creek folding stock, which I have on the way. I prefer Butler Creek over Choate.. I have a choate stock on an M1 carbine and it is 'okay' better than that lesser cost version they make for SKS... but in my opinion not as good as the Butler Creeks... close but when you look at the $20+ extra cost...nope. with Butler Creek you also get that little hidden compartment in the pistol grip.

I like folding stocks on my 'carbine' rifles for the following reasons:

It makes wussies wet their pants, gun knuts drool, and transporting the rifle so much easier... 32" zippered case is perfect and when you carry in the woods, you can strap one over your back and don't get hung up on nearly as many limbs and things.

I'm really a fan of good old iron sights but wanted the scope to work on my not so long range (50-100 yards) shooting skills.

sparkysteve

You could go with the see-thru scope mount. You use the same base, the mount just raises the scope up about an inch allowing you to still use the iron sights. I've only had them on one gun and didn't like them because the scope just sits too high. Whatever works for you.