Ruger 10/22 stainless opinions

zachattack2

I am thinking of getting a ruger 10/22 stainless steel barrel from cabelas for $270 and maybe a new stock, and possibly trigger.
Before I get this guns I would like if I could get some opinions on the ruger 10/22 and some stocks and triggers.

I will mostly use it for target practice only but I would like to get 1 - 2 inch groups at 50 yards with a 3-9 power scope. Is the 10/22 capable of getting these groups or am I dreaming?
I have saw some reviews and people who have it say it gets pretty good groups but I won't more opinions on it before I make my final decision on it.

I would love your opinions

Thanks,
Zach

Pahoo

Set your priorities

I routinely do 10/22 upgrades or modifications and always advise setting priorities on the changes. There are enough upgrades available that can really beat up your wallet. You can even take it to a point, where you will never get your money back, if you decided to sell it. The one nice thing is that you can always tear it back down, to original and save your upgrades. ..... ;)

For starters, do a trigger job, poly bolt buffer and auto bolt release. If you are a visual kind of guy like me, check out YouTube. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

DaleA

I think the Ruger 10/22 is great for having the potential to be whatever you want it to be. For target shooting you can go totally crazy accurate:

http://www.coolguyguns.com/RIFLES_c_10.html
or
https://www.volquartsen.com/

but although this may be heresy I've found the box stock Remington 597 Target to be more accurate than the box stock Ruger 10/22 Target. (YMMV)

I should mention if you want to keep the weight down (some target shooters WANT a heavier gun) you could look at the graphite barrel version here:

https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-22LR-Ambidextrous-Thumbhole-Stock-Rifle.asp

zachattack2

Thanks.
Does anybody have any suggestions on some stocks? I am looking at the tapco intrafuse, what do you think of that?
Any kind of stocks, would like to stay under $150

jmr40

I don't like Hogue at all on a center fire, too heavy and chunky. But the proportions are just right and they add just enough weight to work well on the 10-22. The uncheckered wood stocks from Boyds are just too slick for my tastes and checkered versions get pricy.

I used a pawnshop special, and had a gunsmith polish the trigger. Other than the stock and aftermarket barrel from cabelas everything else is stock.

Factory rifle with just the Hogue stock. Not quite as accurate, but not bad

Mike38

I would like to get 1 - 2 inch groups at 50 yards with a 3-9 power scope

My Ruger 10/22 with a Volquartzen hammer and a $30 Bushnell 3-9x32 scope easily gives me less than 2 inch groups at 50 yards using CCI Mini Mag ammo. I’m happy with that, and stopped any further modifications. More money for more ammo. ;)

idek

I put a Volquartsen 10/22 kit (Target Hammer & Hammer Bushings & springs & shims) in both of my 10/22s. I installed them myself in about 20 minutes following the video provided on the website.
http://michigancenteroutdoors.com/volquartsen.html (scroll down a bit to see it)

Made the triggers pretty nice with a pull around 2.5-3#. Pretty nice upgrade for $45, and I've never been tempted to buy the $200 drop-in triggers I see. I guess there are Ruger's own BX triggers for about $75, but it's a little off-putting to me that if Ruger can make a nice trigger group for the 10/22 that they don't just put them in the gun in the first place.

I can't comment on many barrels. I got a Butler Creek carbon fiber bull barrel once, and it was awful. Much worse accuracy than the factory sporter barrel. I went back to the factory barrel and stayed with it, since it's good enough for my plinking and small game hunting.

In the past year I got this barrel:
http://www.tacticalinc.com/blue-116...el-for-1022®-with-thread-protector-p-561.html
I got it because I wanted a gun that was a little shorter and lighter for a youngster to use (shaves off two inches and half a pound). I never tested it for serious accuracy, but I'd say it shoots at least as well as the factory barrels.

I attended one of those Project Appleseed events once and the instructors said that a lot people underestimate the accuracy of the factory barrels, and that they should try them out with a few kinds of ammo before assuming they need to buy an aftermarket barrel that costs as much as the gun.

As for stocks, I don't like the factory wood stocks, which, for me, are too short, too slick, and have too much drop to maintain a cheek weld when using optics. I have a Hogue stock on one 10/22, and I like the look and feel of it. I've read that it's not rigid enough to work for a target gun, but, again, I don't use my guns for serious target shooting.

My other 10/22 wears an ATI stock that is probably similar to the Tapco you mentioned. I like being able to adjust the length of pull (this stock is paired with the lighter barrel for the young shooter to use) and the comb height, but the adjustable buttstock has a little wobble, which probably doesn't help accuracy. Not sure if the Tapco would be like that too. I have a little red dot on it and just use it for plinking around 25 yards mostly.

Last edited:

zachattack2

Does anybody know about the archangle deluxe target rifle stock 10/22? It seems very nice but I've heard some bad things.

bedlamite

1-2" groups at 50 yards should be no problem with a 10/22 carbine. Replace the factory parts with a Bentz chamber ER Shaw barrel and Hornet Trigger and it should be able to get 1/2" at 50 yards.

Panfisher

I know everyone loves the 10/22 but you might consider a Marlin or Savage or CZ, bolt action, and change nothing on it. add a scope and buy more ammo.

SVTCobra306

I have one of the 22" barrel 10/22 Sporters, stainless with a birch checkered stock, all I added was a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire, and at 50 yards it is well below 1". I'm also not using special ammo, though right now finding any .22LR ammo makes one feel "special". I'm still working on the 100 yard thing though, I suppose that'll take some more thought into the quality side of the ammo thing.

zachattack2

Panfisher,
I have a Henry lever action 22 and a Remington 700 ADL bolt action 30-06, I want a semi auto gun I could shoot tons so I want a 22 and the ruger 10/22 I really like.
If I was looking at a bolt action I would get one of those but I am not.

zachattack2

I might get a new trigger depending on how much i like the trigger it comes with.
If I do decide to get a trigger I would like to stay around $100 but if it is really nice I would go $150 most.

I am looking at the new ruger BX trigger for $90 or $105 with shipping if I'm to lazy to go to the store a while away. Is that a nice trigger? No? Yes?

Any suggestions on triggers? All would be appreciated!

bedlamite

Performance per dollar the Hornet is the best option. I've got their spitfire and it's better than the Volqartsen in my other 10/22.

http://www.hornetproducts.com/

10-22.jpg~original

Top one has a Volqartsen barrel and trigger, and a Boyds Evolution stock, bottom one isn't the same as the pic anymore, it now has an Adams&Bennet barrel, Boyds Blaster stock, and Hornet trigger.

Panfisher

Zach, no worries. I have a 10/22 and even fell into the upgrade it to a target gun trap some years back. Just throwing out options. My 10/22 has since been converted back to mostly stock except for a set of Fire sites, never could use the factory ones well.

zachattack2

Bedlamite,
I found a nice hornet trigger for about $120 with shipping I might get it and how hard is it to install? I will watch and see how but is it very simple or hard? Will it take 30 or 5 mins?

Thanks,
Zach

bedlamite

It's rediculously simple. Pull the action from the stock, push out two pins, replace the trigger housing with the new one, and reassemble. 2 minutes if you take your time.