Ruger 10/22 Magazine

RolandMk.1

I just picked up a Ruger 10/22 rifle, and I also got an old 50 round tear-drop shaped magazine to go with it. The magazine was supposedly made sometime in the 1970's.

My question is, how do you load it? It has a spring on the back, towards the bottom that you wind somehow, which moves a rubber belt around. Do I need a special tool to load it, or is the magazine missing a part?

I've included a couple of blurry pictures if that'll help. (Sorry for the the quality, I took them with a webcam.) Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 85

Trip20

Are there any markings on the magazine that would tell us the manufacturer's name?

I found this one on line for sale, and it does state there's a loading wrench to aid in loading the belt.

It's made by MWG, and you can visit there website by clicking here .

If you think this is the same magazine you own and would like to contact them for assistance, they should be able to help you get it working. There's also a page with replacement parts for the 50rnd teardop magazine.

I have no experience with the teardrop magazines so I can't offer advice as to their reliability and functionality, however I've always had the best luck with the factory 10rnd magazines as far as reliability, cleaning, and ease of use goes. So if the cost of getting this magazine up and running is prohibitive... you might want to give the factory mags a try.

Good luck.

RolandMk.1

Thats the same magazine I have, thank you for helping me out. I'll see if I can get in touch with the manufacturer, and see what I'm doing wrong about loading it.

hksigwalther

Had one int he early '90s when examining the different 10/22 mags out there. The small space inside the mag (after you take the back cover off) surrounded by the tread houses the winding tool the you attatch to the crank and wind up as you load. One of the many reasons I did not like it.

USMCG_HMX1

Make a run to Cabela's and get yourself a Butler Creek Metal Lips 25 round mag and a speed loader for it. Combined, it shouldn't run you more than $45 for them. I've got 2 mags and the speed loader and they are great.

Honestly, Ruger should make them optional when you buy a 10/22.

Kris

blume357

I'd buy a good digital camera first....

first responders must have been psycic to be able to figure out what that was.

SDC

The little key that helps you load these looks like a "Y" with two little arms coming horizontally off the top of the branched part, and those arms hook into little slots on the mainspring housing. The biggest hassle with these (other than losing the key) is the time it takes to load them.