Ruger 10/22 - jamming machines?

Dave3006

I have had two of these guns over the past ten years. I ended up selling both. Using factory mags and a variety of ammo, I found that they jammed continually after about 50 rounds.

Does anyone have a 10/22 that doesn't jam? I clean my guns meticulously. I would like to have a .22 rifle that shoots reliably.

Any help?

justice4all

Myself and most people I know of have had the exact opposite results from our 10/22s. I hardly ever thoroughly clean mine.

shooter x

No problem out of any I have heard of. Are you buying them in good-used or new condition? If you are buying completely worn out guns, I could maybe see some slight problems (but truth be known - those problems are usually due to worn out aftermarket mags).

I suppose that some used 10/22s who have gone through the "home-gunsmithing" ringer by someone who (for lack of a better way to describe them) couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the sole might have some problems.

Right off the cuff I can think of about 1 dozen 10/22s that have worked flawlessly and not one that has a jamming problem. Sx

Ewok_Guy

I've been smart enough to never own one myself. But I've shot 3 of them over the years that belonged to family and friends and had jamming problems with all of them.
If you want a .22 that shoots reliably, then I'd recommend a Marlin. About the only thing the 10.22 is good for is pouring tons of money into them on accesories and add-ons. :D

Oris

I have 10/22 for 7 years, and I really didn't notice any jamming that would worry me. May be 1 or 2 jams in a year, and it's
definetely ammo related. It never jammed with CCI or Federal.
I believe it happens when I run some Remington cheap stuff through it, and Rem. .22 ammo often has inconsistent powder charge, "weak" recoil can cause some problems.

Jamie Young

I bought one 4 months ago and put it up for sale 2 weeks ago because it jammed up so much. I can't handle owning guns that barely function. I'm really disappointed in the reliability of these guns. I can barely get threw 100rds before it jams up every other round.

Dave3006

Sodapop, that was my experience. When I look back, most of my ammo was the fairly inexpensive type. What type of ammo did you use? Do you think with premium .22 ammo, it would have been better?

Unreliable guns drive me crazy.

Jamie Young

I used everything. Maybe If I only used Stingers it would function better, but everyone told me it should work fine with the thunderbolt, and some other inexpensive ammo ( I forget what other one).

Tankcommander

10/22s

I have 2 and fire 200 or more rounds each time out and can't remember a jam except with some hollow point ammo. they didn't feed well. But that was it. Everything else Thunderbolt as well has fed fine. I love them and wouldn't get anything else. I use Ruger factory mags.

How old were the rifles? My first 10/22 is about 6 years old and my 10/22T is 3 years old. Could Ruger quality control have gone down hill?

TC

Ledbetter

Specify your problem

Dirty ammo can gunk up the extractor. According to Mark White's book, the Ultimate 10/22, most people who get rid of their 10/22's do so because the extractor is dirty. The problem gets worse with humid conditions also.

You can keep the extractor clean, and/or put a much improved aftermarket extractor made by Volquartsen ($11).

Also, the blow back action works much better with high velocity ammo. If you want to use subsonic, you should polish the internal parts of the action so there is less drag and then the low power rounds will work the action.

As far as using cheap ammo, I've got 550 rounds of Remington Golden Bullets that I'm giving to the next annoying guy that visits the range.;)

Regards.

Jamie Young

My gun was brand spankin new. It stove pipes after about 50rds. Then after about 200rds its all over. Every other shot jams up. Put it up for sale a couple weeks ago but I might pull it back down and try and sell it this weekend at a Gun show. I don't want to have to shoot expensive ammo in it to get it to work. The whole point of having a 22LR rifle was to shoot cheap ammo.

Ewok_Guy

Gonna pass all your problems to someone else eh? That thing needs to be put to rest. Deposit it into the earth. :D

foghornl

Rem's "thunderbolts" don't work all that well in my old Marlin 99. Very inconsistant velocity {from the sound} I have some of the lead round nose, and "truncated cone" versions. Stuff is about 10 years old, bought when Remington was offering 22's in the 3-LB "Bucket of bullets" The CCI mini-mags and Rems Yellow jackets work well. Shooting buddy with Old Rem Nylon 66 says that gun doesn't like "thunderbolts", either.

One other suggestion, before putting the 10/22 in the dumpster, make a call to Ruger.

Or if you REALLY need to deposit it in the earth as Ewok_Guy suggested, come bury it in MY backyard.....

MPH

The only time I have jams on the 10-22 is when I use hicap mags, but if I push the hicaps forward just alittle in the magwell, it feeds flawless on the Butler Creek 25 rounds with any ammo. Have 2-50 round Jamlines that jams quite often.

Kalindras

Dang, Foggie beat me to it...

I was GONNA say...any of those troublesome toys can be shipped asap to...ME.

However, since it's been done, I'll just chime in that I've had a 10/22T for about a year and half, and in the 1000+ shots I've put through it, I've never had a FTF. Now, granted, I've used nothing but Winchester ammo, but I can't imagine it would be any different with anything else. Maybe Wolf...? :p

Anyway, sorry you're having problems with yours. I hear that Marlin does, indeed, make a fine weapon. Maybe you'd have better luck thataway.

Kal

Hemicuda

I have owned 10/22's all my shooting life... (sold #1 to finance a SWEET spring-piston air rifle) then got a 10/22 international...

first one was used... ate ANY ammo I fed it, and NEVER even burped...

second one (the International) was a TRUE Jam-o-Matic for the first 500 or so rounds... now, a couple thousand rounds later, I think I could stuff anything that is even CLOSE to a .22 shell in it, and it'll shoot... it NEVER has a problem... just took close to a 500 round break-in period...

jadams951

My 10/22 was the first rifle I was ever given as a child and that gun would keep shooting all day long and I never remember having any problems.

Ledbetter

Hemi makes good point

At least use high velocity ammo for the break in.

Some cheap but good ammo I have used:

Peters High velocity
Winchester Wildcat

Little more expensive:

Winchester Super-X Hi Vel
Winchester T-22 (Subsonic)
CCI .22 LR anything, Mini-Mags my favorite.

I've got 3 10/22's sitting in the closet right now--all are factory original with no mods at all---they all shoot like champs and the only bobbles were caused by the cheapie bulk pack Federal ammo at Wally's.

I just cleaned the oldest one this spring for the second time in 10 years since I bought it ---the first time is when I bought it----it was functioning just fine---I just figured I'd clean it since I was cleaning the new one.

Dave3006

This almost sounds like an AR reliability debate...

In both cases I am firmly convinced that some people have had 100% reliability and some people have had nothing but problems. I had nothing but problems with my ARs. Milspec, green followers, quality factory ammo. And, at the same time, I believe other people have fired their ARs without a hitch.

I think it boils down to the manufacture of each individual weapon. Maybe the dog 10/22s and ARs are made on Fridays after the guys have been to the pub at lunch? The more fortunate shooters had their guns made on a Tuesday morning after their weekly team building meeting.

Strange.