Ruger 10/22 Ammo Question

Remmy

I dont have one, but my remington nylon likes most all of the CCI's...and winchester wildcats for plinking.

Most people i hear of think remington golden bullets work good in their 10/22's for cheap stuff, and cci minimags for hunting/plinking. Like everyone says, you really need to see what your gun likes. Thats the fun part. :)

Bullseye101

hm...excellent question. I suggest u buy all the different types and try which one your gun likes. 22 LR guns are so damn weird, every gun likes different brands and types of ammo.

I use Winchester Super X Power Points and CCI Stingers for hunting.

I use Eley White Box for Target shooting, I use used to use Federal Gold Match.

General Plinking i use the Power Points. It is my favorite
all-round ammo. Most ppl with Ruger 10/22 like Power Points. It is semio-cheap, accurate, and can be used for Hunting.

Stay away from Subsonic Remington. It is so damn dirty. Mini Mags are good also, but i cannot find them in my area.

bj426

I'll second the Win super X PowerPoints..... love em love em love em....

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but doesn't the 10/22 manual specifically say "DO NOT USE STINGER AMMUNITION!"

something about the case being longer that standard 22lr and it potentially causing harm......

I'll have to double check....

stinger

I think the target model says not to use Stingers, but I don't know for sure. I have a standard stainless model and my manual doesn't say anything about avoiding stingers.

Hey, my call-sign is Stinger, what do you think I prefer? :)

I have never had a failure of any kind with Stingers, ever. They are definitely more powerful. It's been a while since I shot them at 100 yards but I think the drop is something like 2-3 inches. Compare that to regular bulk ammo that drops more like 5-6.

Regards,

Stinger

Jamie Young

On page 10 it says the TARGET MODEL is the one you are not suppose to use Stingers in.

I picked up 150rds to see if My 10/22 worked better with hotter ammo. It didn't jam at all, but..... but it failed to fire on one round. It struck the rim pretty good but didn't go off.

That's about the best My 10/22 has ever done. I've put close to 2000rds threw mine and haven't had a perfect range session yet. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to put up with this. My Nephew doesn't want me to sell the gun but I've pretty much given up on it.

Ledbetter

Favorites, generally in order of quality

Alas, no more CCI Stingers for me. I rebarrelled with a Magnum Research Graphite.

Remington/Eley Ultra Match Rifle
Fed Gold Match
CCI Green Tag
CCI Mini Mag
Winchester Super-X (T22 or HighVelocity)
Winchester WildCat in the White Box
Peters High Velocity
No Golden Bullets for me.

Regards.

Ghengis

I'm just shooting a factory barreled 10/22 with Volquartsen trigger parts and I've shot CCI Green Tag and Velocitor, Federal Match and Bulk Pack variety, Winchester Power Point and Target, Remington Target, Subsonic, and Bulk Pack Golden Bullet. My previous favorite was the Winchester Power Point. My 10/22 shot it as well as the expensive target stuff and I liked the added power. However, when Wal-Mart started carrying the bulk pack Remington Golden Bullets (550 rds for $8.96) I tried a box for plinking as it was so cheap. Didn't do any accuracy testing at first but I liked it as it was cleaner shooting and just plain looked better made than the Federal Bulk Pack stuff at the same price. Recently I tested CCI's new Velocitor and I shot it against my old standby Power Point. It shot about the same but I fired the Rem Golden Bullets just for comparison and I was stunned that it out shot both of them by about .25" or so at 50 yds.

hksigwalther

For the ones with a bull barrel, mine will not feed Thunderbolt and will feed most of the time Wildcat. (Tighter chamber.) Everything else is OK. The ones with the stock barrel on them, Thunderbolt ~90%, the rest OK. Mine, both barrel types, like Lightning. Feeding is through the stock mag and 25 round Butler Creek Hot Lips.