Ruger #1 value??

I'm looking at buying Ruger #1... In 22-250 Rem... Condition is probably 95% its around 30 years old.. Blued with walnut stock.. What should I offer for this gun?? No scope..

overland

$750 sound kind of high for a 30 year old rifle. I bought a brand new Ruger No. 1 in .375 for $875 last year.

James R. Burke

I have had a few of them. If it has been taken care of, and nice shape I would say 750.00 is about right. First I would throw 650.00 at him. Can't hurt you may be surprized. I doubt if I would go past the 750.00. If he wants more look around some more. Also let him know your looking at a few others. If he should say someone is interested tell him to go ahead a sell it. Thats a old one that is always used. Good luck, and let us know how you came out. Jim
Thinking about it I would say 650.00 would be more closer. Like it was said it is 30 years old. Also was he a reloader? Try 550.00 first. Sorry about the add on thought about that one post, and he is right. I bought two a couple of years ago for 950.00 tax and everything including mounts and rings.

Last edited:
The gun belongs to a friend.. He is cutting loose of stuff that he longer shoots to help pay for the care of the his ailing wife.. He basically told me to do some research and call him with what I determine is a fair price... Before posting this I was considering $650 and a case of beer... I don't want to lowball a friend in this situation.. I know I neglected to say any of this in the first post..

James,

He is a reloader but a very conservative one...

mapsjanhere

New Ruger #1 blued can be had for under $900. While I've seen people asking $800 for used ones at the gun show, I think $650 is a very fair price for a used one.

hagar

I'd go shoot it first, some shoot well, and some don't. If it can put 5 shots in 1/2 to 3/4 inch, buy it for $650. Anything worse, walk away. An accurate 22/250 is priceless, an inaccurate one garbage.

Kreyzhorse

$750 sounds a bit high to me. I bought a virtually NIB 45-70 with box and all original paperwork for $600. The gun itself was 100% and I doubt it had ever been fired. I think I got a great deal on mine, but $750 still seems high to me on a 30 year old 95% rifle.

Maybe offer him between $600 to $650? I'd say that's fair to everyone.

horseman308

I'll throw in my hat - since it's a buddy, since the money's going to something like caring for an ill loved one, and you actually know some about the history of the rifle, split the difference in the suggestions. Offer $650-700 (and the case of beer :D). Especially if you get a chance to shoot it and see how it does. There are tons of ways to work on accurizing a #1, so unless you just really don't want to have to work on it, then you can probably remedy most, if not all, of any accuracy problems it might have.

James R. Burke

Being a close friend with a sick wife changes it completly in my book. You still dont want to get beat up helping out also. Since he came to you asking about the price, being a freind, and needing the bucks for a sick wife I would offer him 700.00 if it is decent shape etc. Good luck and sorry about his wife. It must have been a good shooting rifle to have that long. If he reloads he must have some good ones, so you may be able to help him again. Jim