Ruger #1 International caliber?

Ed Dixon

I think my next long gun purchase will be the Ruger #1 single-shot in the International styling. This model comes in only the following four calibers: .243 Win., .270 Win., 7x57mm, and .30-06. Any big game use would be mainly whitetail, but what are opinions on favorite or most versatile of these choices?

DAVID NANCARROW

IMHO, the most versatile would be the 06 by a slight margin. The 7MM would come in a very close second. One thing I have noticed is that regardless of the caliber, most handloaders will develop one or two loads and stick with them for most situations. I have 3 which I swear by for my 308 in 150, 165 and 180 grain, and between the three, the 165 would likely be the one I would use as a universal hunting load for everything I go after.

k in AR

Just picked up a used 7x57 a couple of months ago. Instant love affair, and I always thought I was a 30-06 / 308 kind of guy.

This #1 shoots good to very well with the 139 /140 grain factory offerings, but has really started to shine bright when I started handloading the heavier 175 grain offerings.

huntsman

Ruger #1

I also want one of these, I have a 10/22 international and I love the look, but I think a .243 would make a sweet light rifle,add a compact scope and I'm ready for the woods. :D maybe some day ;)