Ruger® EC9s™ Semi Auto Pistol, 9mm

John D

This pistol looks ideal for a purse gun for my wife. Anyone had a chance to try it? As a self-defense gun, I'm OK with the fixed sights.

Pros (other than price!!)? Cons?

carguychris

John D said:
As a self-defense gun, I'm OK with the fixed sights.
Keep in mind that this not only means that you can't adjust the sights, but also that you can't replace them with night sights inexpensively unless you have legitimate gunsmithing skills. Hiring a pro to drill and inlay the sights will likely eat up the cost difference from the LC9s.

Another con compared to the LC9s is that there's not presently an option to delete the thumb safety and mag disconnect.

These cons would personally prompt me to choose the LC9s, but if you can live with these quibbles, IMHO the EC9s looks like a great low-budget option.

[EDIT TO ADD] Another quibble that applies to both the EC and LC is that they normally ship with only one magazine.

Last edited:

railroader

joeranger

I just bought one at Bass Pro for $275 (including tax). Pick it up tomorrow. Last one in the store. It actually comes in a LC9s box. Odd. Guy said Ruger underestimated the demand and ran out of boxes.
I wanted a .380 but got talked into 9MM. Said ammo is half the cost. I hope so.
Only thing odd about the EC9s is that it seemed like a heavy pull on the slide to chamber it. I have no idea about the trigger pull but it is hammer-less.

I can get a LC9S all day long for $246.00 with free shipping. The lowest price I have seen on the budget model is $209.00. Thanks but I will spend the additional $37.00 for the standard model with sights and the ability to have night sights, like my Present one.

gc70

Carl the Floor Walker said:
Thanks but I will spend the additional $37.00 for the standard model with sights and the ability to have night sights, like my Present one.

You may soon not have a choice. The only LC9s models that are still listed on Ruger's website are Distributor Exclusives.

noelf2

Fixed sights? So what? For self defense you aren't looking down the sights anyway. Put a crimson trace laser on it, and Bob's your uncle. ;)

You may soon not have a choice. The only LC9s models that are still listed on Ruger's website are Distributor Exclusives.
gc70, I did not notice that. Obviously Ruger is going to make a change or replace this fine pistol. Newer model may not mean "Better". It has been a proven winner for sure. I have shot them and owned them since they first came out. I personally hope they do not go the way of the LCP Gen 2 and toward the LCP ll of which I am no fan.
I have been thinking of buying one before Ruger makes a change. I have one now that I CCW and it has nice Night Sights, and nice Mitch Rosen Holster which I love and about a dozen magazines. I would use the one I have now for strictly carry, as it is trusted and the new one for range time. (of which it gets plenty of action)
Ruger, do not screw it up!

Mosin44az

I would make sure your wife is OK with the felt recoil, it’s a bit sharp. Not personally a fan of Ruger’s quality control lately, though their service is still faster than Taurus. Neither LC9s I owned was trustworthy, the first had functioning problems that Galloway Precision has attributed to a bad recoil spring design. My second—and last—one, ran better but I repeatedly popped the mag button if I shot it left handed.

I personally would spend more and get a Shield, Walther PPS M2, or XD-s.

wmg1299

I saw one at my LGS today for $209. It appears to be a good quality firearm, and I am strongly considering picking one up for my mom. I'm not concerned about the fixed sights because the gun would be strictly for home defense, and the layout of her home would require any defensive use to be at extremely close range. I would want more features in my personal carry gun, but I probably want more features than are actually necessary.

The pistol feels like it has just enough mass to help ease recoil, without being nearly as bulky as some of the other offerings in this price range (ex. Hi-Point). It seems much sturdier than the Taurus 709 Slim, and I trust Ruger's quality control much more than Taurus. There is definitely a market for a bare-bones gun from a respected manufacturer at a bargain price.

Fixed sights? So what? For self defense you aren't looking down the sights anyway. Put a crimson trace laser on it, and Bob's your uncle. ;)
That may work for some, but not for my style of shooting/training. I point and shoot using a sight in a peripheral Picture. Night sights are a big benefit. I am no fan nor would I ever use a laser. All three of my pocket guns have night sights. Trying to find one now for my LCR.
What Ruger will do with the LC9S is any one's guess. Just keep the budget model or come out with something new. The LC9S has been very popular. To trump the design would really have to be considerable to beat it.
To Ruger's credit they did continue to manufacturer the LCP Gen 2 which IMO was a much better pocket gun than the LCPll and a heck of a lot safer to carry.

noelf2

I have several styles of shooting. For home defense and conceal carry for quick response, I'll have a laser over night sights every time.