RRA Poly 1911

gmarr

Have seen this version of the 1911 online but have yet to see or handle one. Question(s) for anyone who has one; what's the quality like? How does it 'feel' in the hand. I've read that it's a bit wider than the metal frame 1911. And most important, what's the weight difference?

Thanks in advance.

JERRYS.

I'm too much of a purist to try out a polymer 1911. considering that polymer pistols have been out for decades and the 1911 version is still floundering leads me to believe that a lot of enthusiasts think the same way as I.

Dave T

Not sure STI and the like could be called "floundering". Custom guns built on those frames have been dominating practical pistol competition for several decades.

Dave

mineralman55

I hoisted one at a lgs several weeks ago. I liked it. Felt good in the hand, a touch top heavy, you can't remove the handgrips as they are integral to the frame. I've been looking for any reviews online, and they are mixed. Some say it's not terribly accurate, others have written it's accuracy and reliability for them was fine. Price was right, I still might buy one.
(Edit)
Sorry, it was a Rock Island poly, not Rock River.

Last edited:

JERRYS.

Not sure STI and the like could be called "floundering". Custom guns built on those frames have been dominating practical pistol competition for several decades.

Dave
I made no mention of any company, just the poly 1911 in general.

The opening post in this thread asked a few specific questions:

Question(s) for anyone who has one; what's the quality like? How does it 'feel' in the hand. I've read that it's a bit wider than the metal frame 1911. And most important, what's the weight difference?
If you have handled the Rock River Poly 1911 and/or you know the answers to the questions, feel free to respond. If you just don't like the idea of a ploy 1911 ... feel free to start your own thread to discuss that particular bias.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I hoisted one at a lgs several weeks ago. I liked it. Felt good in the hand, a touch top heavy, you can't remove the handgrips as they are integral to the frame. I've been looking for any reviews online, and they are mixed. Some say it's not terribly accurate, others have written it's accuracy and reliability for them was fine. Price was right, I still might buy one.
(Edit)
Sorry, it was a Rock Island poly, not Rock River.
Are you sure it was a Rock Island poly? I've known about the Rock River poly for years, but hadn't heard that RIA made one.

Putting my moderator had back on: If your post(s) vanished, it's because I vanished them. Stop the bickering.

mineralman55

I'm sure. Rock Island has a poly 1911 in which the grips are integral to the poly frame. It felt good in the hand, and the price was very reasonable.

KyJim, you posted a link to the Rock River polymer 1911. I know that exists -- I posted a link to a review of it. The one whose existence is in doubt is Rock Island.

railroader

Rock Island sells rebadged Tanfoglio witness pistols that are assembled in the Philippines. Tanfoglio also makes polymer 1911s that have non removable grips. I'm thinking the Rock Island poly 1911s might be rebadged version of those 1911s. Here's a tanfoglio polymer 1911.

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-21%20at%208.36.54%20PM.jpg

kenny53

I am not sure a poly 1911 is really a 1911. I am sure some folks will love it, I am not one of those folks. I live just a few miles (less then 10) from where Mr. John M. Browning lived. There is no way I could own such a gun.

TunnelRat

I am not sure a poly 1911 is really a 1911. I am sure some folks will love it, I am not one of those folks. I live just a few miles (less then 10) from where Mr. John M. Browning lived. There is no way I could own such a gun.
You know what. I bet if John Moses Browning lived today he'd make a pistol using a polymer. Blasphemy, I know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

railroader said:
Rock Island sells rebadged Tanfoglio witness pistols that are assembled in the Philippines. Tanfoglio also makes polymer 1911s that have non removable grips. I'm thinking the Rock Island poly 1911s might be rebadged version of those 1911s. Here's a tanfoglio polymer 1911.
I hate to be a pedant, but I am what I am. I know that Armscor/Rock Island sells some Tanfoglio pistols under their name. Those are on the Armscor web site. I have not found a polymer 1911 on Armscor's web site, and the folks I know at Armscor have never mentioned one. The statement was made that Rock Island sells a polymer 1911. I asked for a link to something that confirms that, because I am not aware that such a pistol exists from Armscor/Rock Island.

polyphemus

Just to set the record straight.
Mr.Browning was a master gunsmith.
Herr Gaston is a polymer chemist and curtain rod manufacturer.