RPS will not ship handguns at all!

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I received an e-mail recently informing me that RPS (Formerly Roadway Package Service, now a subsidiary of the parent company of FedEx) would no longer handle handguns at all. I decided to get it right from the horses mouth and sent this e-mail to them.

"UPS recently changed their policy in regard to handgun shipping. They now require handguns to ship overnight only, thereby costing the consumer much more. What is RPS’s policy on the shipping of handguns?"

I received this in response this morning:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 99 09:40AM EDT
To: david-j-miller@usa.net
Subject: Re: Handgun Shipping Policy

Mr. Miller,

As of October 8, 1999 RPS will no longer handle the shipment and delivery of handguns. All handgun shipments will now be handled by FedEx. RPS will continue to serve its customers who wish to ship long guns and ammunition.[/quote]

That’s it! No explanation, no nothing. I sent them a reply asking them for the reasoning behind this policy and haven’t yet heard back from them. I will update this posting when I get more information.

I wonder why the difference between long guns and handguns?

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsey Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Contender

I also saw on another board that Airborne Express will not ship ANY firearms whatsoever anymore.

Methinks some arm twisting has been going on.

Danger Dave

Well, they can effectively ban handguns by eliminating shipment of them. I think what they're afraid of is that, like the firearm mfg. industry, there are basically a few big shipping companies (UPS, RPS, FedEx, etc.) and a few small ones. How long before HCI, etc. lump them in with "firearm distrubitors"? I don't doubt that a large percentage of firearms used in crimes (or for that matter, the other 200+ million in the U.S.) passed through the hands of one of the major shipping companies at some point...

Since this has been in effect since October 8, surely there are some FFL's on TFL that can verify this story.

alan

I will inquire, via included e-mail addresses, as to the rteasons for this "change of policy", or as some would have it, "sellout".

Is it possbile that there is some factor at work that we are not aware of, or it is more likely that "someone has been gotten to", or that "political pressure has been brought to bear". Finally, there is the oldest of all possibilities, no politics, no bribery, no secret arrangements, just plain stupidity, followed by corporate cowardice.

One could imagine all sorts of possibilities, but I believe I lean to those old standby's "cowardice and or stipidity"

Brett Bellmore

Alan: I'm not terribly fond of conspiracy theories, either, but why would cowardice and stupidity strike this many companies essentially simultaneously? No, there's something rotten in the state of Denmark.

Starting a new, nation-wide shipping firm would be a huge undertaking... But imagine what would happen to the NRA's membership, if the NRA did it; But only between members!!!

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

EQUALIZER

I agree w/ Rep.Thunderbolt.

Does someone here have the capitol to get this business venture underway?

If this stuff really pans out, its caught us in the little house out back w/ our pants down and nowhere to run...if you'll excuse the crude expression. Seriously, if we can't ship, we can't buy. If we can't trade, where's that leave the handgun industry. I know we have overnight air, yeah, yeah, yeah.
But if its gotten this far, what makes anyone think that all air transit won't stop next? I guess we need more info and confirmation. But from what is posted, the horses mouth confirms it and he aint Mr. Ed........"Hey Wilbur! What ya doin wit that shotgun?! Wilbur!!..."

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)