Roy Acuff Gun Collection

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I spent most of last week at my wife's tradeshow at Nashville's Opryland Hotel. In one of the hallways near the convention center part of the hotel, there were two cases with part of his collection.

Mostly shotguns, including 33 caliber; 9mm; 32-gauge and then on through 20s and 12s to the Real Biggies: 10-gauge and 8-gauge; and four--count'em, four--four-bore guns. All were caplock; one was a Damascus double-barrel. Compared to the 3/16" thick barrels of the single-shot fours, the double looked just too lighweight to shoot!

The only pistol was an English caplock 10-gauge (as I recall) rigged as a booby-trap gun. The grip was extended some six inches where it could be stuck in the ground or tied to a tree. A tripwire actuated the trigger.

A passing security guard mentioned that there is a Roy Acuff museum where the main body of his collection is kept.

(If you win a lottery, you can afford to stay at Opryland. The brother-in-law deal for tradeshow folks was $170 per day for a couple, including tax and parking. The Red Roof Inn across the street was much cheaper.)

:), Art