Rounds Nose Diving Into Ramp

mes228

Being unable to make the range to fire the new Custom 1911 I just received. I thought I'd cycle the action to hand feed a few rounds by slingshotting the slide. Big disapointment!! A large number of rounds nose dived and jammed from all 4 "tuned" McCormick mags supplied with the pistol. Is there a common cause for nose diving rounds? I've had several .45's in which I used the McCormick mags and they functioned very well. Makes me wonder about the Smith "tuning" the mags. My last custom (a Springfield worked over by Clarke) would feed empty hulls and never a burp in any way. Any suggestions and comments appreciated.

Tom2

Custom by who? If he has any sort of rep. at all, he better get it right. My dead stock Colt will feed HP ammo without having had any custom work at all. With either the Colt or Metalform mags.

abarth

What ammo are you using? does it nose dive on all 8 rounds (I assumed 8rds mag) or just the first round or the last round?

Ozzieman

+tom2

The WHO is a big question, that and what was meant by mags that were "tuned"?
When you say that the rounds nosed dived, do you mean that the rounds started to enter the chamber and the backs of the cases were sticking slightly up out of the port and the slide was holding them there?
That sound like some VERY strong springs in the mag.
And last but not least, what do you mean by slingshotting.
I have never seen a 1911 of mine (6 now and total of 12 in 25 years) ever jam like that.
I also had a stock Colt 1911 that would and did feed empties. Actually tried it once.
I think you actually need to shoot a good number of rounds before I would get to worried. With out taking a milling machine to a good 1911 it’s hard to screw one up, but it can be done.

Magyar

It certainly does indicate a mag problem from your description...Unless I missed it, how does it perform after you insert a rd and start firing?
It is also possible that your "sling-shot" is not all the way back or you are letting some of the slide glide across your fingers for a slight resistance...
Keep us informed....:)

Hunter Customs

Is this the same gun you posted about the slide not matching up with the rear of the frame?
If so you can call me at the shop, I'll discuss some issues with you that you may want your pistolsmith to check.
The number is (816) 675-2340, shop hours are 10:00am to 6:00pm Central time Monday thru Friday.
The shop will be closed until 11/26/07 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com