Roundhill Group gets FFL

LeverGunFan

Workers at the Ilion NY plant were supposed to report March 1st, but that was canceled without explanation. Here is a link to a report from syracuse.com. I was told by a former Remington employee that the new owners of Remington were short on cash, and had to sell the Huntsville Alabama plant to raise money. So it looks like they are in a bit of a struggle to get production up and running.

ndking1126

That's too bad about the cash. I've read articles that make me think that Roundhill wants to get back into business without a union representing the employees and that might be one hang up that kept them from coming back. If that's the case, they should have moved the business down here instead of staying up there, in my opinion. We are a very manufacturing-friendly state.

I live about 10 miles from the plant in Huntsville, (maybe that's why I've followed it so closely?) and it's an interesting situation. From what I know, HSV city government gave them significant incentives, but with conditions of hitting certain employment numbers, to move down here and also gave them some wiggle room in 2018 when they restructured the first time. Remington used their building as a way to secure their debt/incentives (if conditions weren't meant, and they weren't) with the city of HSV. I understand at this point the building basically belongs to the city and is just waiting for it to sell so they can get their cash back. I might be wrong, but I don't think Remington has any real equity in it at this point.

FITASC

No, Roundhill had not produced a thing and most likely won't. Articles I have seen have them suing Ruger over Marlin.

Scorch

They did a press release that said they were back in the plant and that they would start production with the 870, followed by the 700 (to me this means they are not in production yet). The 1100 and 11-87 will likely get dropped for the Versamax. Handguns and the 22s are not in the picture at the moment, they want to start shipping before they start strategizing.

ndking1126

Thanks all, good to hear they are at least trying. Hopefully they are successful and can bring back the quality Remington products were known for. I wouldn't complain if they make better new-product innovation decisions too. I'm a little surprised they don't have a website with a press release page, social media account or something. That's pretty standard fair these days. (What I can find is only for the ammo side of the business.)

Scorch, I've never shot a Versamax, but I really like the 1100. Truthfully I don't see myself ever buying one, haha, but it would be sad if they decide not to make it anymore.

Last edited:

ndking1126

I dont put a lot of stock in shotgunworlds forum section. Everytime I've read there they are convinced remington will never produce a gun again and have no real reason to offer other than their own negative biases. Companies are in litigation all the time. It's a normal thing and is why they have legal departments. Especially since the break up was kind of messy, I'm not at all surprised they went into litigation. I'm not sure why they would bring manufacturing employees back except to... manufacture. I work for a company that manufactures electronics and from the information publically available, nothing jumps out as a huge concern. Only time will tell, though.

Last edited:

FITASC

Well Roundhill was SUPPOSED to start producing guns back in October; nothing is coming from this; they don't want to honor the union contract and why would anyone with a modicum of sense want to do gun business in one of the most anti-gun states in the US? Some of those folks have done some pretty extensive research into what Roundhill is doing (or more appropriately what they're NOT doing)

Scorch

Well Roundhill was SUPPOSED to start producing guns back in October; nothing is coming from this; they don't want to honor the union contract and why would anyone with a modicum of sense want to do gun business in one of the most anti-gun states in the US?
Well, what was supposed to happen apparently didn't. Roundhill got their FFL in February and started bringing back union members on a skill basis rather than a seniority basis. They don't need machinists (highest paid) if they can't get mechanics (medium pay) to get the equipment up and running, so you bring back what you need. Not good enough for the union, they wanted Roundhilll to honor the Remington Arms contract, and Roundhill hasn't agreed to do that. Roundhill doesn't have a contract with the union, and the way the union is pushing they might not have one anyway. Remember, in negotiations you get what you can get the other guys to agree to. So the Union was a major stumbling block in Roundhill getting their business licenses. As for doing business in an anti-gun state, you do business where you can. The buildings and equipment are already in Ilion, so that's where they want to do business initially because moving is expensive.

Maxwell Haus

You bring up a good point , folks seem to think moving is simple . Anyone that has ever been to the Ilion plant will realize you just don't rent a u-haul . They also have many skilled/experienced workers still living in the area , those folks are priceless when it comes to getting machinery up and running again . Funny to see folks always saying how unfriendly NY is for guns , I would say it's USA wide .

FITASC

But they did give up the brand new facility in gun (and tax) friendly Alabama. Would have made more sense to me to dump the very old building with worn out machinery and who knows what for EPA issues for the newer facility where labor, taxes and general cost of living are a lot lower, and where - because of the defense/aerospace industry there - skilled workers abound

Jim Watson

Huntsville had already seized the building because Remington had not brought in the business and workers that the city subsidized on the back of the taxpayers. Nobody seems to know where the pistol and AR equipment went.

I never did get my Mercedes coupon to recoup some of the subsidies and tax breaks the state made to get an auto plant.

Maxwell Haus

But they did give up the brand new facility in gun (and tax) friendly Alabama. Would have made more sense to me to dump the very old building with worn out machinery and who knows what for EPA issues for the newer facility where labor, taxes and general cost of living are a lot lower, and where - because of the defense/aerospace industry there - skilled workers abound
How do you know what condition the machinery is in ?

ndking1126

FITASC, keeping business in NY and not in AL was an odd decision, I certainly agree with you on that, but all indicators are the city essentially owns the building and wasnt interested in getting burned again.

I wouldn't want to honor Remington's union contract either. When management is responsible, both parties benefit without a union. The money that goes to administrative overhead of the union could be divided between the company and the employees (or handled many other ways).