Round Out the Collection

glockopop

Submitted for your approval:
Here are my next three (tentative) purchases:

1. S&W Model 10
2. HK P7M8
3. Ruger Blackhawk Convertible

I already have a Glock 35, a SIG 226 9mm, a Wilson KZ45 on layaway, and my girlfriend's got a Browning Hi-Power 9mm and a Ruger 22/45.

What do you think? Any other suggestions? I don't like to have redundant guns in my collection. I'm not necessarily against the idea of having multiple guns in the same caliber, but I don't like to have two of the same size or type of gun in the same caliber. Any comments or ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited:

croyance

Maybe a .357 Magnum instead of the .38 Special. Then again, I don't know which Blackhawk you are getting.

A large bore double action revolver. A single stack, small framed semi-auto.

glockopop

These are the front-runners in their respective "themes".
1. Double action, medium frame, 3-4 inch barrel for plinking/possible IDPA competition. I figure I'll be shooting .38s most of the time anyway, and M10s are so cheap, I might as well go that route.

2. Compact 9mm "carry option" pistol. I'm not totally sold on the P7 due to price. I'm also thinking about a P2000 or a SIG 239, but I'm looking for other options.

3. 6-inch barreled, adjustable sighted "target" revolver. I'm thinking the .357/.38/9mm model. I've shot a 629 Classic with PowerPort, and I didn't particularly enjoy it. .44 Specials out of it were pretty fun, though. I'm not against the idea of a big bore revolver, I just want something that's not as brutal as the .44 Mag. I'm really iffy on this one, so I'd love some other suggestions in this area. I'm not picky about DA vs. SA, but I used to have a 686 with a 4-inch barrel and it always felt muzzle-heavy and unbalanced to me, and I like the feel of the Blackhawk. I always enjoyed shooting .357s out of the 686 and never found it unpleasant or difficult.

osuflipster

Don't have much experience with number 1, here is my take on 2&3.

2) I have two choices for compact 9mm CCW G26 and P7 PSP, they both do the job they were intended to do. The P7 is slender carries well IWB and OWB, and is the worlds safest CCW. The G26 is not comfortable IWB for me anyway, but works well for ankle carry and also front pocket. I plan to alternate between the two depending on dress and mood.

3) I have only owned one revolver 686-1 6 inch, while it was a fine gun, I learned that I am not a revolver guy. This gun gets very heavy to shoot for me anyway, after 12Rds my groups were trailing off. Ammo storage: for every gun I like to keep lot of ammo on hand, having a 686 means I have .38 and .357 on hand just adds more clutter tot he basement. I have limited myself to .22lr for target guns, 9mm for CC and target guns, and .45(just because it's .45)! No more .357/.38, and I have also gotten rid of all my .40 calibers as well. I have been considering M625 if I come across a deal on one, can use my .45 ammo with moon clips.

ride-a-aug

My 2 cents

Go with the HK you will not regret it . If for some reason you don't like it sell it next year for what you paid for it.

glockopop

1. Yeah, my mind's pretty much made up as far as the Model 10. You just can't find a quality DA revolver for the price of a used M10.

2. This is the category I'm struggling the most with. I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for size. As far as the Glock 26, it's just a little too small for my liking. I also have a Glock already, and I kind of like variety. I want something that's big enough for me to get all my fingers on, and I don't like the feel of the Pearce grips on the G26. It seems that subcompacts are too small and compacts aren't quite small enough. The size that I'm paying the most attention too is grip length, as this is the part that "prints". Some compacts that I like are a little large in this category, such as the SIG 228 and the HK USPc. Some of the double stacked guns are a little bulky as well.

3. In this category, it's pretty much a question of SA or DA. It will probably depend on what I can find a deal on when I'm ready to buy. For an SA, it'll probably be a Blackhawk, for a DA probably a S&W M19 6-inch. If anybody has any, I would like some ideas for a big-bore caliber that's a softer shooter than a .44 Mag and that's not obscenely expensive to shoot.

Thanks for all your input so far.