Round nose bullets in a level action

swatman

Well, What caliber are you using? A friend of mine has a marlin lever action .357/.38 rifle. I feel totally safe firing round nosed bullets with this caliber. 30/30 on the other hand has pointed bullets which tend to butt against the primer of the round in front of it and because of the heavier recoil, MAY cause them to slam into one another, causing a possible dangerous situation. Round nose on the other hand, should be pretty safe.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The standard for bullets for use in any tube-type magazine is either flat-nose or round-nose. Round-nosed .30-30 bullets do not cause any problem, so the lesser recoil of a pistol cartridge should not, either.

The spiral groove in the magazine tubes of the centerfire Marlin lever action is an effort to get the nose of a bullet off-center from the primer of the round in front. Does it work? I don't know.

Hope this helps, Art

fubsy

Now you can load the first round in the chamber a pointy bullet, but the rest should be rounded or flat......thats what im hearing anyway...fubsy.

Paul B.

If round nosed bullets were a hazard in the 30-30, Remington wouldn't load them. :O
Marlin has a spiral groove magazine? I thought it was the Remington 14 and 141 pump action rifles that had spiral magazines.
Paul B.

Mal H

Staff
I think you guys are handing out info without knowing your audience, and it is a lot larger than the few of us posting here. Are they planning to use factory ammo or are they planning to reload for a 30-30? You don't know. The term "round nose" can easily be misinterpreted. Conventional wisdom has said to only use flat nose bullets in lever actions. I guess I should have added, "or bullets specifically designed for the 30-30."

From Speer reloading manual #13:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>For rifles having tubular magazines, the 30-30 must be loaded with flat point bullets. This prevents cartridge detonation in the magazine during recoil."[/quote]

It is true that several bullet manufacturers make round nose bullets that are perfectly acceptable in a tubular magazine. Hornady and Nosler are two. Those round nosed bullets are rounded almost to the point of being flat. But, an inexperienced reloader may think, "This Spitzer certainly has a rounded point, I guess it's ok to use."

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 14, 2000).]