Rough Spots on Polymer Frame

rjinga

I’ve had my Shield 9mm for three days now, and as I’ve handled it, I’ve discovered three little rough spots in the casting of the polymer frame (see yellow ovals
PggxYV3.jpg

At first, I thought I just needed to get used to it. However, after two days of constant irritation, I took one of my wife’s emery boards and slowly worked on the three spots until they were smooth. I was amazed at how much better it felt after I finished.

Anyone else ever do that?

Tom-R2

Not on a S&W, but I have on several other pistols. Key is to do very little and check, then do a little more and check and stop when you've got what you want. Polymer will work VERY easy, so if you use a Dremmel or a rasp, you can take way too much off before you realize it if you're not careful. Normally it doesn't take much.

TunnelRat

It can. I’ve found though that if you touch the area over with some fine steel wool you can blend it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishbed77

I've noticed that the plastic casting marks/flashing on the S&W polymer pistols are considerably more prominent than those on Glock pistols, which are themselves considerably more prominent than those on Walthers, who appear to have the process down.

jimbob86

I’ve had my Shield 9mm for three days now, and as I’ve handled it, I’ve discovered three little rough spots in the casting of the polymer frame

It's a plastic frame that Smith and Wesson spent dozens of cents on ..... what did you expect? Finely polished finish? Does it work?

rep1954

You don't get a Corvette for Aveo prices. If you want a Aveo to perform like a Corvette be ready to spend a lot of time and money on it.

rep1954

"My Glock 17 3rd gen is a perfect cast."

Actually it is a perfectly injected plastic molded part.
And they do a nice job.

gnystrom

JimBob86 nailed it. Grab a small piece of 300 grit sandpaper, spend all of 30 seconds sanding whatever you need smoothed (I used a sanding board from my wife's fingernail kit), take the gun to the range and shoot it like you stole it.
It is a flippin gun not a collector piece.

rjinga

JimBob86 nailed it. Grab a small piece of 300 grit sandpaper, spend all of 30 seconds sanding whatever you need smoothed (I used a sanding board from my wife's fingernail kit), take the gun to the range and shoot it like you stole it.
It is a flippin gun not a collector piece.

I never said it was a collector piece. I don't consider it a collector piece. :D