Rough Rider knives - any good?

Jack O'Conner

I watched a program on TV named gun and knife show. Host displayed numerous Rough Rider knives that appeared well made. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Jack

Slamfire

Smokey Mountain Knife works has a lot of these Chinese brand pocket knives.

I purchased a series of small stockman patterns from SMK: a Rough Rider , a Buck, a John Primble, and a cheap "Stanley" brand. All of these knives were made in China. The Stanley was around $10.00, the Rough Rider about $12.00 and the Buck was around $20.00.

The fit and finish of the Buck and Rough Rider and John Primble are about the same. That is, quite highly polished and well fitted. The blades on the Buck "feel" like they are better steel, or heat treated. The Rough Rider, Primble,and the Stanley blades are little softer, and are probably the same steel and heat treat.

I am carrying the Stanley right now, it takes a decent edge, does not last long, the workmanship is fine for a $10.00 knife. It is a light duty knife.

If I loose it, I am out very little.

When I do loose it, I will be carrying the Rough Rider or one of those other cheap chinese knives. The last knife I will loose will be the Buck.