Rotating Barrel

I understand how blow-back guns work. I understand how Browning's tilt barrel locked breech works. But how the heck does Beretta's rotating barrel work? Educate me, fine Firing Line folks!

PSP

In simple terms; the barrel and slide are locked together similar to any Browning linked action...the difference is that the barrel is nestled in a cam that forces the barrel to rotate, about 1/4 turn or so, unlocks as the barrel stops at the end of the cam length and the slide continues on, ejects the spent round, recoils, reloads and pushes the barrel forward, locks again, and so on. Think of how a M1 Garand operates.

Instead of stopping the barrel on a pin and cam that moves down Browning style, the cam revolves. It allows the action to be a bit more compact in height too.

Bart Noir

And the Beretta action just recoils different. I recently compared it against the Walther P99, using same ammo.

The Beretta Px4 has less climb at the muzzle during recoil, and it also seems to have less torque, by which I mean less twisting in response to the bullet spinning down the barrel.

Bart Noir

FALPhil

If you really want to see a clever rotating barrel set up, see if you can find pictures of the internals of the Obregon handgun.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Another recent example is the Colt AA 2000. In its basics, not a bad design, but terrible execution.

Jim