rossi revolvers

cbuck

what does everyone think of the brand and the quality of guns they produce. from what i understand the company was bought by taurus which raises a red flag with me but one of the guys at one of my local LGS said that they still are built in the old facility so there isnt as bad of a QC issue with them. the gun i was looking at was one of there 357 2in barreled models and was a couple years old. it fit my hand very well but i dont want to drop money on one to have it break and run into the taurus customer service people when i could have just bought something else. any info is appriciated

I have a Rossi M462 .357 stainless very high polish. I like the old S&W design with the firing pin. I paid $300 NIB in 2008

Last edited:

gak

I have heard much more good than bad about the 46_ series .357 snubbies. Very close in size to the vaunted Colt "D" frames (Detective Special etc)...and one of the very few small frame (sort of a J+) six shooters on the market. Being a snubby, I'd shoot .38s and .38+Ps in it most of the time anyway, but nice to have the flexibility to "go magnum" if the need arises.

Last edited:
My only limited experience with a Rossi 357 Mag has been very poor. And for that reason, I would not be inclined to get another. Given a choice, I would buy a S&W over a Rossi regardless of a price difference.

excelerater

looking at online reviews Rossi prove to be very scary,looking for something cheap for the wife to plink i went to Taurus instead ....

microman

Had the snubby 462 model.

It did ok for a time and then started to lock
up shooting .357's out of it.

They are ok for a gun you don't plan on shooting
a whole lot with..

dougbull

re

I bought one new,Before I got to 200 rnds the firing pin broke, guy next to me said his did the same thing. back to rossi/taurus new firing pin on it, sold it. never again

jrinne0430

I owned a few rossi revolvers (still own one) and they never gave me any problems using 38s or 357s. With the exception of one, I find rossi/taurus revolvers good for the money. If you could afford a little more, then go with a ruger or s&w as these tend to hold their value better.

AirForceShooter

I have the snubby .357.
For the money it's a really good gun.
I don't care if it gets beat to hell as long as it still works.

Hasn't broken in 6 years.

AFS

bumnote

I have an older, 20+ yrs old, pre-Taurus Interarms Rossi. Not a bad gun at all, did a little work to it and it's a pretty good revolver. Still if I'd know then what I know now, I'd probably by a used S&W or Ruger over a new Rossi.

claws

A friend bought a Rossi .357 revolver about 20 years ago (against my advice). It was a real piece of crap. Worst DA trigger I'd ever seen. He ended up giving it away.

cbuck

unless I am mistaken (very possible) doesn't Taurus own Rossi now?

i believe that is what the guy at the shop was saying, but he also said they still manufatured their products seperately but it sounds pretty much like the same QC issues as taurus, thanks for the info guys, looks like ill be leaning twords the s&w one that i they have in the same price range and not worry about not being able to shoot the 357 out of my revolver too :cool:

Doc TH

Revolver

Had a Rossi at one time. Was OK, but nothing special; have since "graduated" to S&W and coudn't be happier.

458winshooter

Rossi guns

I have an older model 971 4in 357 that I love.I have never had any issues with it and I have shot alot of max loads out of it without fail.For a home defense gun it is my first choice and I have several to choose from.It is a natural pointer and is as accurate as anything I own.i keep hearing other posters badmouth them on this forum but this one a real keeper.If I had any complaint with it I would have to say it would be with the length of the cylinder and the fact that some of the best handloads out there are too long for it.But with factory ammo or ammo loaded to SAMMI specs it works great.

huntinaz

Unless I'm mistaken, Taurus now owns Rossi. Furthermore, Taurus warranty (which is good) doesn't include Rossi. So buying a Rossi is like buying a Taurus without a warranty. Smart stuff.

Bamashooter

Back in the 90's I carried a rossi 38 snubbie for years. It was a very nice looking gun with black pachmyer grips and despite it having a 2'' barrel it was actually pretty accurate at 20-25ft. I never had a problem with it. I ended up selling it to buy something else I wanted at the time. I have nothing bad to say about rossi.

I should explain my bad experience with Rossi was trying to find a replacement for a broken rear sight blade. I searched up & down, inside & out. My fault? Perhaps. But my point is that I spent a lot of time in many places and never got the rear sight blade I needed for the Rossi. In my search, I found it simple and easy to get the same thing for the S&W.

Newton24b

rossi not bad, rossie not good. that depends upon the following two questions

1. what is your opinion upon the smith and wesson revolvers circa 1940-1960?
2. how do you judge those sw revolvers against the modern sw offerings? against the current ruger offerings?
3. how do you judge the rossi clones of those 1940-1960 area sw revolvers agaisnt the original guns that were clones, and the modern versions of those same guns?