Rossi 971?

9x19

My wife has owned a Rossi 851 since they first hit our shores (mid 80s) and it has served her well. The firing pin (hammer nose) proved to be a bit soft and started to mush-room after 800 - 1000 rounds, but it was a close enough copy that it got replaced with S&W parts (pin and rivet) with only minor fitting.

Rossi 851
851.jpg

gak

I owned a pre-Braztech/Taurus 971 stainless that I really liked--til it was lost hunting off trail in rough country (word to the wise re cheap nylon holsters). Somewhere in the wilds of central Arizona...

Back then you could get the stainless in 4" (mine), something that changed with the Braztech take-over--maybe to "force" buyers over to the more expensive Taurus line for that most popular configuration? I don't know. It's been years but my recollection is it was handy K-frame in size and handled the usual assortment of 125 and 158 .357s fine. No reason to think the current crop would be any different--plus the lifetime Taurus warranty.
Alternatives would be used K-frames, and slightly larger S&W 686 and Ruger GP100. Of course K-frames are not recommended for regular diet of the 125 grainers) I believe the 971 would be.

oldhunter

I have owned a Rossi model 971 with 6" SS barrel for about 15 years and have shot around 2,000 rounds of both .38sp & .357 mag without a problem. It is accurate and very dependable and I often carry it in the woods. Took a doe with it many years ago but no longer carry it in hunting season as I prefer my S&W 696 in .44special as a backup to my rifle. I also own a Rossi model 88 .38 special, a 410/.22 youth gun combo and a Rossi model 92 lever action in .357/.38 that I am very happy with. I recommend Rossi products although not so with Taurus. Only owned one Taurus pistol and quickly traded it in on another gun purchase several years ago.

oldhunter

huntinaz

I had a 971 for awhile. It ran 38 spl fine, but after a couple of boxes of 357 the cylinder started hanging up. The forcing cone was not cut off flush either, it was totally warped. It was a nice looking pistol and felt good when it worked but the quality just wasn't there.

I now own a Ruger GP100 and 2 Smith 686's. Bought them all used. No problems with either. Gotta recommend them both over the Rossi.

Last edited:

Walklightly

I bought a 461, I think it's similar except a 2". I had it fixed twice before they replaced it the second time. Seem's like a nice gun, but it takes third of fourth place over my S&Ws, and my Ruger SP101, which was the Rossi's replacement.

If you just trying to be cheap, go ahead, and good luck. If you want a good gun, don't be cheap.

Walklightly

I just took some extra time to look up a Ruger GP100 blues 4", it's just $175 more at Bud's and three times the gun. Also will hold it's value better, if you ever wanted to sell it.

huntinaz

Haha, now that I'm home I can see the price. I paid $340 private (no tax/transfer fee) for a used stainless GP100 a year ago, with a leather holster and a box of ammo.

Ruger GP100 blue 4", it's just $175 more at Bud's and three times the gun.

Yup. For $340 + transfer fee I would not mess with a Rossi. Personal opinion of course.

defjon

Well, I ended up with it in a trade. Got this, a taurus model 85 ultra light stainless 38, and a ruger p94 along with some holsters and a couple hundred rounds of ammo...

So, when I get it out to the range, I'd be happy to report my findings. So far, I does feel more 'cheaply' made than SW or Ruger.

It is very....what's the word? Svelte...? For a magnum.

Walklightly

Is it safe to dry fire this revolver? Anyone know?

If I'm correct, they have a hammer mounted firing pin. I wouldn't do it a lot, but it should be ok, IMHO. Call Rossi and ask.

I think Taurus doen't recommend it, but I'm sure it would be ok too.

defjon

I haven't shot it yet. I am taking some people new to shooting out and this is one of the ones they'll get to try. I have something in every caliber but 40 now. I was thinking of shooting up the rest of the 357 ammo I have on hand and then possibly selling it out. I have no use for a 357, and while the gun has a very nice glossy deep blueing, it will stand out in my all stainless collection.

No idea the actual value of this, but I am thinking of asking 250 for it. I read the revolver check out and it locks up tight with no shake on any of the six chambers- no wiggle. Is this a fair amount to ask?

We'll see though- it 'feels' like it will be very accurate. Always hard to sell an accurate pistol! Points right on and the grips fit my hand very well.