Rossi 951 .357 (pre-taurus)

novaDAK

The local shop has a blued Rossi 951 .357, 4" bbl and full shroud, adj sights. They want 199, and I looked it over and it seems to be in decent shape (no obvious scratches or blemeshes in the finish). I don't own a revolver yet, but I do shoot a python frequently which is owned by a family member. I own 6 autos and I'd like to get a revolver added to the mix. I'm basically looking for a revolver that's under 300 bucks, can stand to have a few .357's through it every now and then, and won't fall apart.
It is an older Rossi, because I didn't see taurus anywhere on the gun.

I'm going to the gunshow on Friday and if I find a security six or a S&W I'll probably go with one of them if it's still under 300 bucks, but I'm keeping an open mind to the Rossi just in case I don't come home with one from the show.

Also, can these be dry-fired without snap caps? (newer Taurus made ones say no dry-firing).
So would it be ok with snap caps then?
I'm going to assume that it has the firing pin on the hammer, no transfer bar, so it could fire if the hammer was hit while carrying it fully loaded unless they had gone to the transfer bar before they were bought by taurus, in that case I'd have to go back and look at it (forgot to).

Any other opinions on this gun would be greatly appreciated :)