Rossi 92

smuckie

Anyone try a red dot scope on a Rossi, got the scope mount today and guy at gun store said a red dot would set too far up? haven't tried the mount yet but not sure what he meant, could the scope be too far way from my old eyes, shot my brother in laws 44 Ruger sbh with red dot and it was at arms length, so what does he mean? Thanks guys

Last edited:

PetahW

FWIW, there's no such thing as "too far from the eye", when shooting with a red dot sight - since they have unlimited eye relief.
(Best practice is NOT to look directly through, or focus on, the red dot sight - a shooter should focus on the target & let the dot superimpose itself on the target)

By "too high", I would opine (after mounting more than a few) that he meant that the sight's body would protrude/look too much above the lines of the rifle for optimal handling/sighting - but it could also be a personal opinion, as YMMV.

If the red dot's mounted in the scout position, using the rear bbl sight dovetail or a rail mounted into (some) Rossi M92 bbls (with the factory-prep holes under the rear sight leaf), it's immaterial, unless a really bulky ( usually very inexpensive) red dot is chosen.

Even though my eyes are over 70 y.o., I happen to prefer a set (front/rear) of fiber-optic sights, or a FO front sight w/ a receiver peep sight to a red dot (My $0.02)

smuckie

Thanks

I haven't taken the rear sight off yet but since it's a brand new gun, I would think its already drilled, I have kicked around the thought of different sights but might try a red dot for now, mainly gonna use for punching holes and gonna let bro in law take a deer with it, nothing over 75 yards I wouldn't think,,update the holes are there yea

Last edited:

PetahW

AFAIK, every Rossi M92 bbl has been D/T'd under the longleaf of the rear bbl iron/open sight for Rossi's Scout scope mount ever since Rossi introduced their Scout model.

They D/T every bbl, and install them on every rifle, so they don't need to select/stock a separate run of bbls for the Scout rifles.

Henry does the same thing on their octagon .22 rifles, since the same bbls are used for both the Frontier & Golden Boy models - the GB needs a cantilever mount to scope it; the Frontier has the rimfire scope grooves atop it's receiver cover.

It's just an economy of production to make a part universal, when multiple products use some of the same parts.

smuckie

Strange

I mounted the red dot today and I have a double image, but when I take it off and look through it I don't seem to get that, any suggestions

PetahW

If you're not already doing so, try shooting with both eyes open - the dot should superimpose on whatever you're aiming at with the off eye.

smuckie

Red Dot

I tried both eyes open and it's still doing it, I can turn the rifle 90 degrees to 3 o'clock and it lines up perfectly, make any sence to anyone?