Rossi 92- is this [extractor] normal?

jmstr

Hello,

I recently picked up a Rossi R92 in .357 from around 1982, and it looks like it was stored in a safe most of its' life.

I am new to the 1892 action design.

In using it, I noticed that the extractor lever seems so stiff it feels almost 'seized/gummed' up tight.

In closing the bolt [with or without round], the last 1/4" of bolt travel [before full lockup] requires a significant amount of force, as the extractor is being forced up by the chamber cut or by the rim of the cartridge.

Before I try to yank the extractor up and polish the sides/clean it up, I'd like to know if this is normal for the design?

or, does it seem mine is in need of disassembly/tweaking, to allow it to flex with less resistance?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Scorch

As normal as any Rossi is, that is normal. Does it extract well? Then just leave it and don't make up problems, with a Rossi any problems will soon become evident. Shoot it.

AlaskaMike

Powertube is exactly right. The ejector springs are way stronger than they need to be. It was cheaper to overlook burrs and other machining "leftovers" and instead install stronger springs.

While it will get smoother over time with use, the best thing is to get a lighter weight spring. It will also help keep your brass within walking distance.

Do a google search on Rossi 92 spring kit and you should come up with several options.

Hawg

I filled the action on mine with white lithium grease and worked it a few hundred times. It went from stiff as a board to being able to feed rounds with one finger.