Rossi 92 in 45 Colt

colima

I read some of Paco's ramblings over at www.sixgunner.com. He is a big fan of the Rossi Model 92 with hot 45 colt loads. He claims that the Model 92s are stronger than the Model 94s. I currently load 45 Colt for a Ruger Blackhawk - its pretty amazing! I think it will be accurate once I learn not to flinch. It would be interesting to have a rifle in the same caliber.

Is there any experience on this list on this topic?
Sorry if its an old issue to many of you.

JAF

James K

Member In Memoriam
He may have a point in saying that 92 is stronger than the 94, but that would assume the same quality of materials. That is the case now, as the modern 92 clones are made of better material than the originals (steel vs iron), but is not true of the originals.

Actually, for the .45 Colt, even with a hot load, either is more than adequate for strength. The big drawback of the .45 Colt in a rifle, and the main reason it was never chambered in a rifle in the old days, is that the rim is too small to work well with an extractor. Unless everything is just right, there will be extraction and ejection problems. This is no problem in a SAA with a rod ejector, of course.

Jim

Jack Straw

I bought a Rossi to accompany my Colt SAA in .45LC and I absolutely love it! Considering the low cost of the Rossi, it is without a doubt the most fun per dollar that I have ever spent on a gun; of course, I guess that just depends on what you consider "fun" to be.

As for extraction problems...I've never had one. Originally the rim on the .45LC case was too narrow for good extraction, but the nominal dimensions of the case have changed over the years; the rim is wider now than on a case made way back when. If the .45LC gave extraction problems in lever actions it would not be the most popular caliber in cowboy action shooting, so don't worry a bit about that.

Besides being one of my favorite guns for general "playing", the Rossi also serves as my backup deer rifle. For short range whitetails in the thick Georgia woods it is quick, light, handy and deadly.

If you can, try one out to see what you think. Take it to your favorite plinking area and I promise you will have a ball.

Jack

ropeclamp

A few years ago there was a good article in Rifle magazine on handloading for the 45 LC. According to expert at one well known bullet manufacturing outfit rifles could be used with loads for a Blackhawk.

thisaway

My Rossi 92 is a great little rifle. I have tried the CorBon 265-gr. JHP .45 Colt "Magnum +P" load in it...this is a hot load...1749 fps over my chronograph! It recoils with authority, but is fairly accurate. It (or the new 300-gr. load) should be good close-range deer/hog loads.

With the .45 Colt "cowboy" loads, the Rossi is an absolute *****cat! I compare it to a .22LR. VERY light recoil, and VERY good accuracy.

They are inexpensive, seem well-made, short, light, and easy-to-handle. I consider them a good buy.