Rossi 92 44 Mag question

cmdc

I have one with a 16” barrel. I want to use 44 Special in it and have Winchester Silvertips, Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot and Buffalo Bore Heavy 44 Special ammunition. Does anyone have recommendations about which would work best?

Thanks

cmdc

Ya, it likes those, but my plan is to use it for backup HD duty, just because, and I thought the full-house loads would be a bit much in confined spaces.

stagpanther

Ya, it likes those, but my plan is to use it for backup HD duty, just because, and I thought the full-house loads would be a bit much in confined spaces.
Mine never shot very well with mild loads--or I never succeeded in finding one.

AlaskaMike

I've got a 20" model 92 in .44 mag, one of the older ones imported by Interarms. It does equally well with .44 special as it does with full power mag loads.

You don't give the bullet weights of the ones you have, so I'm assuming they're probably 240 grain bullets. You might want to verify that they will expand as intended with the lighter loads. Granted, you'd be shooting them in a carbine with a closed breach and longer barrel than a revolver, so you'll pick up some velocity from that, but will it be enough for reliable expansion for a bullet that's intended for expansion at 1200+ fps? It would be good to verify.

cmdc

The Silvertips and Speer are 200gr, the Hornady and Buffalo Bore are 180gr. I’m thinking they’ll gain at least over what they’d do in a revolver.

AlaskaMike

Yep, with those weights, and fired from the 16" carbine they should expand just fine. They should also stabilize well with the 1:30 rifling twist in the Rossi, so you should get decent accuracy.

cmdc

Thanks AlaskaMike. What I meant to say in my previous post was I think I’ll get 200-300fps over revolver velocity.

Blue1

I think the issue is total cartridge length...longer .44 Specials should chamber and shoot fine.

I can shoot .45 Colt loads in my .454 Casull-chambered R92, but they are probably too long (hand-loaded) to fit the cylinder in my Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt.

I generally shoot very mild loads in .454 Casull brass with this rifle, as full strength .454 load in this light rifle are absolutely brutal for recoil.

For instance, my favorite (and most accurate load) is a 255 grain coated semi-wadcutter at a little over 1400 FPS. From a rest, I can put all shots in a 8" target at 100 yards with iron sights. Note that I am a shaky old dude.

I chrono'd a Hornady 240 grain XTP load at 2235 fps...this is 2662 ft/lbs.

This energy is a little more than a .308 Winchester rifle round out of a 22" barrel! And my .308 Savage with scope is probably at least two pounds heavier.

Of course, the .308 retains much more energy out past 200 yards; but you are not going to use an iron-sighted 16" barrel lever gun past that anyway.

Blue1