Rossi 462

gak

I can't speak for the Taurus, but I believe it is a skosh bigger than the Smith J - more like a J+1/2. Rossi still calls it a "small frame," making it also a skosh smaller in frame than its K-like 971/972 line. Placed side by side a Colt Detective Special, the small Rossi is nearly identical except for some extra metal/beef in the frame ahead of the cylinder below the barrel line...and the cylinder itself is a hair wider in diameter. In this unfortunate world of the 5 shot J's where the idea of a small frame 6 shot has been just about dropped altogether, along comes Rossi: In the face of others saying it's more like a K, I've said all along since the 461/462 intro, that this new Rossi is just about the same neat size as a Detective Special -- and a comparo at a local gun store that just happened to have both bore that out ---and just about the first/only if not THE first/only gun since the Detective Special to put 6 rounds in a small frame...and it's a .357 to boot... Though I'd probably shoot mostly .38s or +Ps in it anyway (hot .38s in a small/short package can be a handful and not particularly pleasant) -- nice to know you can shoot the magnums. Right now, it's truly unique on the market - a nice little package.

Don Lu

Great info, that was what needed to hear..thanks alot. There is a gun show in my area next week and they usually have Rossi, so I will see them for myself but I think I may get one. thanks again.

gak

Don Lu -- not only that but complete with Taurus lifetime warranty. Unlike the current Taurii (and S&W etc.) I believe, the Rossi retains the hammer-mounted firing pin a la S&W's, etc., of old, and I think adds the Taurus transfer bar. Hard to go wrong with this little package. I don't know whether the firing pin location is a good, bad or indifferent thing--that is, why they went that way while all the other Taurii went internal/integral...maybe cost issue? Although Rossi says the gun's fine with .357s, I think just on principle - for a snubby of any sort - I'd stick with the .38s most of the time, regular ones for the range, stoking +Ps for SD/bedside duty, and running a few 357 through it every now and then "just because." Good luck.

slow944

Taurus 462

I had a 462 a couple months back and traded it for a Muzzle loader with a friend. I was a handful with the 357's I was shooting but at the range it got everyone's attention. Lots of flash and kaboom.:D I really enjoyed shooting the little snubby and should have kept it but thats water under the bridge, plus I wouldn't have been in the market for a 357 when I ran across some buy back guns from EDS's security forces here in the DFW area and I picked up a S&W M66-2 in pristine condition for $299+tax.:eek: Which is now my new nightstand gun.:D Enjoy the 462 they are a lot of fun.:D