Rossi 462 - Range Report!

Grapeshot

Ok, actually it's not much of one, but I did finally get the gun this evening (after eons of waiting) and I put a modest amount of ammo through it.

First Impressions - this gun is very, very nice looking, having a mirror-bright stainless finish that was very, very impressively applied. I only found 2 blemishes - I saw what looks to be a very small brush mark on the left side of the topstrap, which really wasn't even all that noticeable. The second was a straight-line scratch on the bottom of the side of the frame near where the cylinder rests when open. I thought the darn cylinder mouth was making this, as I revolved it to load cartridges, but on closer inspection the cylinder wasn't even close to touching the frame and rubbing it. Otherwise though, the gun is a beautiful little creature.

Size - this gun is a 6-shot, though is quite tiny. About on the order of a Detective Special, which for me is the ideal compromise of "big enough to shoot but small enough to carry". It fits in my pocket, although it REALLY felt at home in my waistband. The gun weighs the same as an SP101, so it has enough heft to soak up recoil well.

Timing - while at rest, the cylinder has a lot of play to it. I was concerned, until I cocked it on each chamber, and, lo and behold, the thing locked up pretty well. Not as tightly as my Ruger, but then the cylinder bolt wasn't making that ugly "drag line" all around the cylinder either. I think they actually fitted it. Most chambers locked up tightly but a couple were a little less tight, though not loose. I thought this locking acceptable but not ideal. I worried a little about it.

Barrel-cylinder gap - looked ideal.

Trigger - SA was light and crisp, every bit as good as the best S&W revolvers I've owned. Lock time seemed fast, and the hammer falling did not throw my muzzle off like it can on most of my factory-oversprung Rugers. DA was very Ruger-like; it was of medium weight and about 3/4 through the pull it stacked and then let off very smoothly at the last split second. I worried about it a little, too, since I don't like my Rugers DA pulls.

Fit-Finish - Excellent, on par with S&W, maybe better. I noticed the crane-to-frame lockup was better on this gun than my Redhawk, which leaves a big gap there.

Grips - a little long for concealed carry, and somewhat chunky, but very comfy despite the fact my fingers didn't fit the finger grooves. Very comfy in DA firing.

Sights - kinda typical for a snubby. Sight picture was very tight, and stainless finish, although bead-blasted dull on the topstrap, still was hard to see. However, a good front ramp, being large and having nice serrations.

Firing Test - ammo consisted of 148 gr. Wadcutters (reloaded), Winchester 125 gr. +P Personal Defense, and Winchester 110 gr. .357 Magnums.

I was a bit apprehensive, wondering what kind of problems this pistol would have, being so cheap and all. But functioning was perfect in every way. I began with the WC's, which had almost .22-like recoil in this gun. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the sights very well. I tried painting one, then both with a black marker, but that didn't help either. I left my white paint at home unfortunately, and my groups were pretty much indicative of a fuzzy sight picture. I'd get 3 or 4 in a reasonable group and then the others would be far off from it. I'm thinking, oh great, a couple of the chambers are off.

But then I got the idea to drape a little adhesive flourescent orange bullseye on my front sight, and the groups suddenly became more consistent. I also began concentrating on a more consistent grip, and my groups with all the ammo at 50 feet from a benchrest were in the 3.5" range, with usually 4 being into about 2". Keep in mind I still couldn't see my rear sight, not having anything to brighten it up.

Recoil with the magnums was surprisingly light, more blast than kick. I was even shooting some great DA groups (1.5" 3 shots at 21 feet) with it, which I never expected. I guess the DA wasn't all that bad after all given a 2-handed hold. I wouldn't go much over 110 gr. mags. though.

I thought that was pretty decent accuracy for such a short tube and sighting problems.

So, if you're wondering just how the heck I got such a nice gun for so little money, and what the catch is - well, the darn thing didn't shoot to point-of-aim at all.

My groups were very consistent, being about 9 inches low and 5 inches to the left. If this sounds crappy, I did some experimenting with my sight hold and brought them up even with the bull, though they were still left of it somewhat.

Conclusion - well worth the meager sum I paid for it. Fact is, I can't believe the level of quality I got. Heck, the chambers were even polished, allowing even the hot Mag. empties to fall right out with one push on the ejector.

Sure, it isn't perfect, but I didn't pay for an S&W either, so I'll just cope with it. Additionally, my gun lacks a lot of the annoying qualities of the major brands, such as mediocre fit/finish. I call it my "poor man's Magnum Carry".

I would recommend it to anyone, and plan on buying another Rossi product some day. With some more testing, this slick little gun will be my new CCW piece, which is as highly as I can recommend anything.

tubeshooter

Wow, that was quick....

Thanks very much for taking the time to write your findings. I am a little disappointed that it doesn't shoot to point-of-aim any better than that, but maybe with some different brands & weights you can find a load that's reasonably accurate. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Not bad, though. If the reliability is there, I'd say you did at least decent (having not seen the gun for myself and all). Although with practice you can get pretty impressive and surprising results at range, the snub is still pretty much thought of as a "belly gun". If it will do that job for you, then hey.... :)

Keep the faith, give the gun a chance, and maybe consider having a 'smith giving it a once-over &/or getting some diagnostics from a friend after letting him try it out.

Take care...

-tubeshooter

C.R.Sam

Neat report.

Curious.........did it shoot equally low with the wadcutters and the full house ammo ? I would think it would shoot higher with the softer loads, but that is not always true.

If the orange pastie was on top of or protruded above the front sight, that would make you shoot low....same as a higher sight.

Inexpensive way to find the sight color that works for you is to experiment with nail polish. Then use something more permanent when you find a color that likes you......in assorted light conditions.

Before doing anything drastic, recommend shooting it other handed just to rule out shooter grip induced left hitting.

First order would be to get the sights where you can see them.

Sam

Eric Larsen

GOOD ON YA! Rossi makes a good little gun. I shot the 677 again yesterday side by side with my SP...all I can say is its a shooter. I cant explain why but both of the current snubbies tend to shoot to the POA with hot 125gr full house loads better than 158's , 110's and +P 38's. Both guns like them better.
Im glad you like your gun and thought you would from the beginning....Congrats. Shoot well

Grapeshot

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll explore them.

Tube, you're very welcome and right, I should probably shoot it more and then let a friend shoot it as well. However, I am not to awful worried about the P.O.I. thing as there are a few things that can be done to correct it, such as opening up the rear sight on one side (a drastic alternative). This could be problematic though, as the rear sight isn't flat on top, instead creating an "arc" with the front sight. I don't really have a gunsmith available to check it out. What mechanically could cause such a poor P.O.I.?

To be honest, all of my fixed-sighted revs. shoot low for me, and I'm kinda getting used to holding the front sight up above the rear sight to hit in the bull.

Sam, thanks for the input on the sights, and yeah I think I'll try some good old nail polish soon. The gun was actually shooting that low with the WC loads also, although I switched targets so could not compare the relative difference in P.O.I. with the other loads. The pastie probably didn't make much difference because I kept checking it and smoothing it down after every shot, though surprisingsly it never really needed it even with .357's.

I will soon be doing some real target testing of the gun with painted sights and with different bullet weights, 'cause I'm curious as well to see if there's a big difference.

Eric, you were right I did like it. It's a really nice little gun that points well and just feels so ... right. I can't believe just how comfortable and FUN it is to shoot with .357's. That's not something I ever thought I would say about ANY .357 snub.

In thinking back, it's also the cheapest available .357 I could have bought. I'm sure in shooting and handling it I'll find some more flaws, but am extremely pleased with it. For example, this morning I noticed that the "Braztech" name and address (which is really, really deeply stamped or engraved) was a little crooked.

Now durability? Who knows. Probably not going to be as good as the other brands, but then I was surprised at how nice it was to begin with.

Hope this info helps somebody.

Grapeshot

Also to ammend my review a little...

I need to give Smith a little more credit. On a Smith, at least flats are flat. I think I should say that the overall "look" of the gun maybe would be closer to a Ruger/Taurus level gun than a Smith and Wesson gun. I say this only because the gun sortof has what I call the "lumpy frame syndrome". My Redhawk has this in spades, but I've not seen any Smith guns have it. To my mind, the sides of the frame should have an even, flat look about them in any angle of light. On this gun however, you can see some unevenness, such as where they put a screw in the sideplate and it dimples the sideplate a little around the screw. Other places in the frame just do not look totally flat, such as where it looks like they "pressed in" the "Rossi" logo. It's a minor cosmetic annoyance on this gun, whereas my Redhawk looks like somebody took some pliers to various parts of its frame. Compared to the Rossi, it looks TERRIBLE. And my Ruger Bearcat of recent vintage is the same way.

What the heck causes this, anyway? It's like they threw some parts inside and then squeezed the gun together around it. Thank goodness the Rossi doesn't have it that bad.

justinr1

>>>My groups were very consistent, being about 9 inches low
>>>and 5 inches to the left. If this sounds crappy, I did some
>>>experimenting with my sight hold and brought them up even
>>>with the bull, though they were still left of it somewhat.

>>Before doing anything drastic, recommend shooting it other
>>handed just to rule out shooter grip induced left hitting.

Good advice, however, when I first shot my 625, I was also grouping to the left. After giving my sights and barrel a good hard look, I saw that the barrel was not correctly turned relative to the rear sight. Sent it S&W repair. One week later, it shot to exact point of aim. Make sure your barrel is turned correctly.

justinr1

Grapeshot

Justin, good advice.

But I swear, the dang thing looks as straight as anything to me ... though I guess it could be hard to tell on a 2" barrel.

I'm thinking about sending it in for servicing, though I'm hesitant to right now since I've already been waiting forever on a couple of others I sent back to the factory.

Also, I'm concerned that I might get my gun back complete with some brand new problems created by the "service". Guess I've just heard a lot of horror stories about Taurus service.

Drakejake

I also have the Rossi .357 and think it is an excellent value. I think I paid about $250. With most of my handguns I shoot consistently low and left and never have blamed the firearms for this tendency. ( With some of the Ruger P series I may shoot high. ) I would wait on sending the Rossi in for service.

Drakejake

Eric Larsen

I also would wait...run some more ammo thru it and see what happens.
I thought my gun was shooting to the left and up..38+P loads. Then it shot low and left 158 JHP 357s. Then
just plain high, 2" @ 25ft...110gr 357's...Stange.......Then I tried full house 125's Gold Dots, Hornady etc.....right on the POA.
Worked out pretty good, as this is my carry choice.

As far as durability...I had easily 3-4000 38 special loads thru the 677 and over 1000 rounds 357's...it had seen a little punishment and was as tight as the day I got it. It was a Braztech gun....
The 462 is a new model and the metalurgy is probably right up there with the rest of them. Taurus did a "torture test" on a 605...basically the same gun as yours...just not. They put over 11000 rnds thru it....all 357 and it stayed togethor well. As I read anyway.

Enjoy your gun and shoot well

Grapeshot

Thanks fellas. I think I'll do just that, and keep it for a while until I've had a chance to shoot it some more and make sure it isn't just me shooting low/left. I don't really mind it too awful bad, since it gets more fun every time I shoot it.

Eric, that's very encouraging on the durability issue. This gun is a real slick little pistol and I hope to carry it as long as I can. Today I found out that it's not a bit too big or heavy for front pocket carry, which is delightful.