Rossi .357 MAGNUM 2" BARREL???

PoorRichRichard

MODEL R46102

For the price this seems like a great little gun. Runs about 350$ here in California with tax and fees. I'm attracted to the .357 because of the option to put .380s through the gun as well. The grip also feels very good as I do not have very large hands.

This will be my first revolver purchase, although I do own and frequently shoot two centerfire autos: Ruger P-95 and a Hi-point .45 (please don't turn this into an "I hate Hi-points thread"), as well as a few .22 autos. I've wanted a snub-nose revolver for some time now and I'd like to know what everyone here thinks of this particular Rossi and/or similar guns- both in size and price.

Here's a picture link:
http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R46102.jpg

And here is the general spec. info at Rossi's website:
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=138&category=1&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

redstategunnut

I watched a guy unpack his brand new Rossi .357, put five rounds through it and then get a click instead of a bang. Some part of his hammer had broken off in the gun. I guess this could happen to any gun, but I shoot often and the guns I see break most often are made by Taurus and Rossi.

I wouldn't suggest a Rossi.

Save your coin, buy a Ruger or a S&W.

And when you do get a .357, please don't put .380 ACP bullets in it, but feel free to shoot .38 Specials.

dougbull

rossi

I hate to do this but, I have to since its the truth. I bought that gun to went to the range at about 120 rounds[ not all at once] the firing pin broke off the hammer. some guy watching me said his did the same thing. Back to rossi on my dime, they replaced the pin. I sold it. Now I am afraid of guns with the firing pin on the hammer. Even smith

slugoo

I've got the exact same gun with not one problem with it, I've only had it for a couple years at the most and have about 2300 rounds thru it. It is not as smooth as a smith or ruger but it is not as expensive as one either. I do have my smiths and rugers and I would take them over the taurus any day of the week if I could only have 1 gun. cheap does not equal quality! That being said, I do carry a taurus sometimes for my carry gun but not this one.

Big Greg

I would check out some used smith or rulers personally. I've just seen to many problems in person with Rossi.

MLeake

Granted that it's a .38+P and not a .357, but I picked up a new S&W 442 yesterday for $379 at my LGS.

Reason I bought it is that my parents have borrowed my other 442, and I missed having an easy-to-pocket carry gun that was also easy to shoot.

The 340 or 640 in .357 would have cost a bit more, but not prohibitively more. Frankly, I don't really like the .357 recoil in an SP101, which is 10oz heavier, so I have no desire to shoot .357 in a true lightweight.

Based on experiences of friends, and reports from my LGS, and the LGS's I used when I lived in another state, I would not buy a Taurus or Rossi. YMMV.

Claude Clay

I'm attracted to the .357 because of the option to put .380s through the gun as well.

you ment 38 Special.....right??
it would be a very special gun indeed that did 357 and 380's...medusa i think its called--very exensive is what it is.

might i suggest spend a bit more and get a S&W. the rossie will never be the gun the S&W is and in time (5+ years) the S&W will be worth what you paid in trade; the rossie never more than 1/2.

jrinne0430

I have the same revolver and it has always worked. As stated earlier, if you can afford it, go with a Smith or Ruger...better quality and value retention. If not possible, I think the Rossi will meet your needs.

old bear

I understand that money can be tight a times, but let me suggest that you save a few more dollars and get a Smith and Wesson or Ruger. "The sweetness of money saved will not last as long as the bitterness of buying a second tier product."

Life is to short not to own good firearms!

I won't attempt to tell you how to spend your money but if you're buying a gun to collect, go ahead and buy the S&W. If you want a gun to use at a reasonable price, buy the Rossi. I have a Rossi 462 (2" SS .357) that has been my daily carry gun for a number of years. I have fired well over 2000 rounds of varied ammo through it without a single malfunction or breakage. Because of it's SS construction, it is also my fishing/camping companion and has taken a couple of dips in the lake. I have known Rossi's to malfunction, but I've also seen Smiths, Rugers and Colts to break as well. It's your money but I wouldn't trade my 462 for all of the S&W's and Rugers east of the Mississippi and it cost far less...had plenty of change left to buy a nice Don Hume belt slide.

Kreyzhorse

Save up a bit more and get a better gun. A used S&W or a Ruger shouldn't set you back a lot more and will be a much better gun.

dalegribble

i have the same rossi 357 in blue. it is a good looking well put together gun and it holds 6 rounds as well. when i feel like carrying a revolver it is the one i reach for. i also have s&w and ruger revolvers but i like the rossi and i am confident in it.

Jim March

Here's the deal.

Taurus makes a low-cost, low-quality gun. With a lot of quality control issues.

Rossi is owned by Taurus - as their "budget line".

Do the math, and then run away screaming. Go buy a used S&W or Ruger.

Kevinch

Here's the deal.

Taurus makes a low-cost, low-quality gun. With a lot of quality control issues.

Rossi is owned by Taurus - as their "budget line".

Do the math, and then run away screaming. Go buy a used S&W or Ruger.

Not quite right - Taurus makes a low-priced, quality gun. Used to have a lot of quality control issues.

Recently, Taurus purchased Rossi.

I currently own 2 Taurus pistols (a .40S&W PT940 & a 9MM PT1911). Used to own a M85 snub nosed revolver. My Taurus guns run fine. I also own various S&W & Ruger handguns. As a current owner, I can say if the gun appeals to you, go for it.

8shot357

Save your coin, buy a Ruger or a S&W.

First off, this statement has some validity.

Some say, "I've read, I've heard, I've seen". Ok, fare enough.

I have one, and I like it (warranty replacement "click, click," no bang), doesn't mean I'd buy one or ever recommend one. Still have it, but I demoted it with it's replacement, a Ruger.

The Ruger also had to go back for warranty work, but it was still shootable. I called Ruger CS, and had a label at my door a day or two later, no wait, that was S&W on another deal. Ruger just gave me there address, and I boxed it up, and somebody (UPS, or FEX) picked it up the next day. No question asked.

Rossi, made me jump through hoop's, and cost me more money to ship it to Taurus/Rossi in Miami.

It's your money but........

Sorry, I had a long day in LA.....and this reminds me of the BS I went through both times.