Rossi 1892 heavy slow bullets?

Shadow9mm

Going to a gun shop to hopefully look at a Rossi R92, 24in octagon barrel in 357 mag. I'm guessing its used based on the price $650.

My primary concern is the twist rate. 1:30. I am hoping to shoot subsonic, I hand load, as my son does not like the supersonic crack. I am concerned at the low speeds, it may not even stabilize 158s, let alone the 180-200s I was hoping to use.

Is $650 used a reasonable price?

And for my 13yr old son to deer hunt, is all the extra weight up front with a 24in octagon going to be a problem.

I tried to track down A henry round barrel but they are no where to be found locally, and $1100 plus shipping and transfers on gunbroker seems rather steep.

Last edited:

MC 1911

If you can find them 650 isn't terrible depending on condition. I just picked up a Hartford/Rossi 24" octagon barrel,pre safety with box ect. in 45lc for 525 & am very happy.

I don't think your son will have any problem it's a well balanced rifle. Stevesgunz is a good site for info.

TX Nimrod

It is bullet length, not weight, that matters for stability. He should find the shortest bullet he can for the weight, which usually means non-HP bullets. Still it is doubtful the OP will be able to shoot 180s. Too bad, since at subsonic speeds bullet weight is about the only way to increase killing power.

44 AMP

Staff
the 180-200gr slugs are notoriously "problematic" in lever guns in .357 Magnum. Sometimes, its the twist rate, and sometimes it's the action length, not enough for those long bullets.

If you're looking for subsonic, that means below 1100fps at the muzzle and of course, slower as range extends. Best check with the makers to see if that 180gr you are considering will expand at those speeds, and if it doesn't is that an important thing to you??

Are you sure about a 1 in 30" rifling twist??

That seems pretty slow. Admittedly all my data is old, and doesn't cover that rifle, either, but Marlin used a 1-16" twist in their carbine, and different handgun makers used between 1-18 and 1-14" according to the old information I have.

Shadow9mm

the 180-200gr slugs are notoriously "problematic" in lever guns in .357 Magnum. Sometimes, its the twist rate, and sometimes it's the action length, not enough for those long bullets.

If you're looking for subsonic, that means below 1100fps at the muzzle and of course, slower as range extends. Best check with the makers to see if that 180gr you are considering will expand at those speeds, and if it doesn't is that an important thing to you??

Are you sure about a 1 in 30" rifling twist??

That seems pretty slow. Admittedly all my data is old, and doesn't cover that rifle, either, but Marlin used a 1-16" twist in their carbine, and different handgun makers used between 1-18 and 1-14" according to the old information I have.
Rossi currently lists their rifles with a 1:30 on their site.

As far as expansion. Will be casting wide flat nose. Hoping to play with pure lead up front, 13bhn in the back using a 9mm casing modified into a dipper. Then filling the rest of the mold. Got some ballistic gel to see how they act.

44 AMP

Staff
Good luck with your bullets. I've never has a Win 92 or copy, but my experience with Marlins is that wide flat nose slugs don't often feed well. And, even conventional SWCs can hang up if you don't operate the lever at the correct speed. They're touchy about that. With a RN or JHP or any bullet without a sharp shoulder they tend to feed smoothly.

44caliberkid

When I was 13 I was 6’ tall and 200 lbs, so that wouldn’t be a big rifle for me, but I think most kids would be happier with the round barrel carbine. Keep watching the auction sites and gun shows, I see them quite often.
As for all the sub-sonic, heavy bullet hoo ha, forget it. Get him a set of electronic earplugs, like Walkers, then the sonic crack gets filtered out, and he can hear a lot more going on out in the woods.

the possum

Off the top of my head, it seems like waiting for one in .44 or .45 caliber could solve several of your problems at once.

Shadow9mm

Off the top of my head, it seems like waiting for one in .44 or .45 caliber could solve several of your problems at once.
Well, I decided on going with a 44, but simply because the 357s are unavailable at a reasonable price. got it on layaway, picking it up saturday, henry steel side gate 44

Shadow9mm

If the problem is the "supersonic crack" then possibly better hearing protection is in order??
Were running 30db muffs. If that's not good enough then I don't know what it. I can hear the difference as well. the 357 is a lot sharper of a crack, higher pitched. the 44 is more of a boom, lower pitched.

I remember as a kid I could not stand the sound of a skill saw. something about the high pitched whine. But the sound of a drill or or bench grinder did not bother me. my dad always had me wear muffs when he was working. without muffs I could not even be around the skill saw.

Kids hearing is a lot better than ours it seems. I always make sure they use proper hearing protection to try and preserve it. will be using some plugs to put in before shooting when hunting. but I think there may be something to the pitch of the sound or blast.

TX Nimrod

Were running 30db muffs. If that's not good enough then I don't know what it…

I do. Use ear plugs plus the muffs, it makes a noticeable difference to me, I usually wear both. The silicone “wiper plugs” work well, but cheap foam plugs work great as long as they are inserted correctly. Improper use voids their value.

Shadow9mm

I do. Use ear plugs plus the muffs, it makes a noticeable difference to me, I usually wear both. The silicone “wiper plugs” work well, but cheap foam plugs work great as long as they are inserted correctly. Improper use voids their value.

I generally run just muffs when shooting 22s, 9mm, 38s, and similar. When shooting 357, 44, or rifles I run muffs and plugs. Problem is with the kids ears bieng smaller I have had problems finding smaller plugs that will fit and stay in place well. So I Opted to go with nice muffs. I have had cheap muffs before, 21-27db rated type. The Peltor 30dB's are by far the best muffs I have ever used both in comfort, and noise muffling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGHVPYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1