Rom. SAR 1 Ak 47 or Ruger Tact. Mini 30?

JKump

I currently have a Rom. SAR 1 AK 47 (with upgraded trigger-Tapco G2, new furniture plus the old wood stuff and folding stock, changed out sights- colored post up front and fully adjustable rear, 5 30 rd. Mags and a side rail and a red dot), However, I am thinking of trading it for a Ruger Tact. Mini 30. I can use both at work (Police Officer), however, I a looking for something that can be used deer hunting also. My son (11 yrs old) who is also left handed would be using it will hunting. I will put a scope on the Ruger, a Nikon 4 x 32 fixed more than likly.
What are some thoughts. Should I just keep the AK or is the Ruger the ticket? I have concerns about the "safety" on the AK for left handed shooters, however, I know ejection is no peoblem. Some help please?
:confused:

zombieslayer

If I were a LEO, I'd rather have the Ruger. If you ever had to use it, the AK would surely make the headlines... Plus, I prefer the safety on the Mini. For your use, I'd have to have an AR, but that's just my opinion. Online, I'd say the SAR has a lot more fans than the Ruger.

nathaniel

If you ever had to use it, the AK would surely make the headlines...

Even if he had the Ruger it would make headlines as an AK.

If it were me I'd go for the Ruger it might be more accurate and easier to use for the youngster. BUT Im not sure about how the ejection is on the Ruger.

zombieslayer

Idk- I have heard of LEO's using Mini's as patrol rifles before. Never heard of an american law enforcement agency that allows officers to carry an AK. Not saying they can't/don't, just that I'VE never heard of it. Say officer Friendly gets into a shootout with some 16 year old "urban youths" and has to dispatch them with an AK. He ends up on the news, etc. The families of these fine upstanding youths attempt to sue officer Friendly, etc. An AK to most average non-firearms enthusiast is a "terrorist" or "assault" weapon. I own one and love it, but I'd reach for my mini or AR first. Just sayin...

HistoryJunky

I think that the media will pretty much refer to almost every firearm used in a crime/shootout as an assault weapon in the initial stages of a story. And yes, the media does refer to almost everything as an AK-47. As gun enthusiasts, we know that an assault weapon truly means a gun that is capable of select-fire. The media doesn't care to make this differentiation.

essohbe

Even if he had the Ruger it would make headlines as an AK.

Lol. Sad but true.

Why do they make officers use their own guns? They make you buy your vests too, don't they? Maybe tax money should go to actually equipping the police adaquately instead of creating more useless park districts. :rolleyes: