Rolling Thunder

Mike in VA

I live in N. VA just inside the beltway neaqr rt 66 and have kind of enjoyed the sound of all the heavy motorcycles (normally don't like traffic noise and am happy when the trees leaf out in the Spring to cut it down). Yesterday my wife and I headed out to go to the Bay for a sail about 9:30 and got caught up in all the scooter folks heading into town for the Rolling Thunder rally on teh mall.

All I can say is, "WOW!", you havta see it to believe it. Looking back in teh rearview mirror it was like a stream of liquid silver from all the scooter headlights,(us 4-wheelers were in teh distinct minority). Bikes of all discriptions, but dominated by the heavyweights, big Harleys, Gold Wings, Vulcans, etc, all flying the Flag and gleaming in the May sun (not a cloud in sight). And the noise! It really was 'Rolling Thunder' and it was GLORIOUS!

As we cruised into town on 66, there were people on the overpasses, waving at the bikers. As we continued into town, we went past Arlington Cemetary, which was pristine, with freshly mowed, lush, green grass and a flag in fron of every tombstone. They were forming up at the Pentagon parking lot (which is a BIG lot) which was already half full at 9:45 am (they didn't actually roll out until noon). Again, the chrome, bright colors and flags (did I mention the sound?) was a beautiful sight.

At any rate, we went on and had a great day on the water, and normally a great day on the bay followed by a couple of cold ones and a crabcake or two, is my Nivana, but Rollling Thunder is an experience that will stay with me for a long time.

Today is going to be a yard care & vehicle maintenance kind of day, but this evening I think maybe we'll hop on Metro and go down to Arlington to hear Taps. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, M2

longhair

I saw that yesterday on C-Span. I must say I found it ineresting that they covered the Million Man March all day (if I remember correctly) and only spent a couple of hours on the ROLLING THUNDER ride. I did enjoy what i saw, and learned a few things. I would have like to see the ride to the WALL, and heard the speeches though...

------------------
fiat justitia