Rolling block project rifle

velocette

For almost a year, I've been resurrecting an 1888 (+ / - ) Whitney Rolling Block rifle. Specifically, a Whitney 2nd model. (Whitney as in Ely Whitney of cotton gin fame's son running the business)
Got it in a trade from my cousin for a fair condition caplock rifle. Both were from my grandad's collection.
Cleaned it, refinished the wood, had the barre re-lined in .32/20 WCF as the old bore was badly corroded. (Originally it was .38 CFC) Tried to maintain all the original finish / patina of the metal parts. Then fitted a reproduction (Leatherwood) Malcolm scope that was pretty close to what was state of the art in the late 1800s.
With little work, it shoots 3 ~ 4" at 100 yds with lead bullets and 777 propellant.
It also hangs on the wall of my computer room to remind me to take it out an play with it occasionally.

Huffmanite

Very Nice!!! Thanks for posting. Own a Remington RB in 7x57, model 1910 or so military one that has a bad chamber.....been toying with idea of rebarreling it for some time now. Other gun projects have delayed work on my RB.

gyvel

Own a Remington RB in 7x57, model 1910 or so military one that has a bad chamber

It was my understanding (from what I have read in articles by others) that the Remington 1902 7mm RBs were chambered to an older standard for the 7mm that was allegedly longer or somehow different than today's SAAMI standards.

This apparently causes somewhat dire headspace problems when fired with modern 7mm ammo. Other than rebarreling or firing with greatly reduced loads, I don't know of any practical way of getting use out of a 7mm.

My 1902 RB is chambered for 8mm Lebel, and, while it doesn't seem to have any headspace problems, it is very unpleasant to shoot.:D

Doc Hoy

That Whitney is sweeeet!

I have a Remington in .45-70 which I love, but it ain't as nice as yours is.