Roll pin punches?

USMCsilver

Does anyone know if I can get these at Lowe's or Home Depot? Or do I have to go somewhere with specialty tools? I need the puches to work on AR lowers and things of the sort!

Thanks!:)

LoneStranger

Let your fingers do the walkin thru the Yellow Pages!

Depending on your neighborhood you should look for "Tools" then look under "Hardware". You will be looking for someone who sells tools and Mechanics equipment.

Watchman

YES..you can get them at Home Depot or Lowes or just about any hardware store as they are standard items.

Just go to the tools section and get them. They arent called "roll pin punches" they are called "pin punches".

I beleive you will need a 1/8.. 3/16 and 1/4 inch for the AR.

They arent very expensive. If you tinker with guns alot ,you ought to have a whole set.

Sisco

There are specialty punches for roll pins (hollow pins split down one side). I'd have to look but I thought I saw some in the Brownells catalog, don't have easy access to the catalog now though.

bdhawk

roll pin punches

lyman makes the best set i have ever seen. check out their website. i betcha they still sell 'em.

Last edited:

TREETOP

USMCsilver, I got my roll pin punch set from the Snap-On guy, but they should be readily available. Do a search on eBay for "roll pin punch". You'll come up with quite a few, I saw a Matco set there yesterday going for pretty cheap...

Roll pin punches are have a small round protrusion at its tip which serves to nestle it into the hollow space of the roll pin. It helps to stabilize the punch into the roll pin when you either drive in or drive out the roll pin. You can use regular punches (and I have in a pinch), but if you're a mite bit off, you can start to split the seam open.

Use the right tools for the job. Buy a set of roll pin punches. BTW, for the M16 you'll need the 1/16" one to insert the roll pin on the bolt release mechanism and gas tube. Don't recall whether you need a larger one elsewhere on the M16/AR-15.

Watchman

Do AR's have roll pins in them that are taken out on a regular basis? Most people dont mess with the sights or the gas tube much. Moslty the pins that they would mess with would require regular pin punches.

I learn something everyday. I never even heard of a roll pin punch. Ive been using pin punches on roll pins for 25 years and have yet to have one "open" up on me.

It would seem to me that a complete set of pin punches would be more useful to someone tinkering with gun. Since the roll pin punches have the little tit on them, they wouldnt be of much use for a regular pin...which most guns seems to use. Of course one would need to use the correct size of punch on a roll pin.

Well....I guess I need to go out and buy a set of "roll" pin punches now.:)

Last edited:

addecus

roll pin punches

I needed a set too so i checked all the local stores no luck. Tool vendor that comes by the shop once a week said he has a set for bbout 70 bucks. Shoot! Find out later that Bush master sells a set for less than half that. Have to admit that it is a higher quality set (set i bought)but don't use it enuff to justify the cost. Try Bushmaster.

slickpuppy

Brownells or Quality Parts/Bushmaster would have what you need.

Quality Parts/Bushmaster used to sell a set of Starrett pin punches years ago for a reasonable price that was put together for AR use.

Brownells and Bushmaster both have armorers kits for the AR rifles as well.