Rohrbaugh worth the money or not??

Is it worth the money?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flint Ridge

Curious to see how your pole goes as I am trying to come up with a replacement for a problematic Sig P238. Have looked at this model in the 9mm. If it is as good as some say and does not have problems, then it would be worth it.

One thing I have a lingering thought on is that some say it is finicky with ammo. That could cause concern not now but fast forward a decade or two. I reload and could chrono some loads to mimic the power though. They have a forum dedicated to this gun.

Kaiser T

It just has a defunct European royalty-sounding name. If that impresses you, go ahead and pay thrice the price of any other first-rate pistol. :p

d sage

Is a Ferrari worth the money? If you want one and you can afford it then it's worth it to you ..... and that's what counts.

deercop

Absolutely! It's only real competitor in its niche is the Kahr PM9, and comparing the two is like comparing a Seecamp to a Kel-tec, in my experience. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/

LWS380-R9S.jpg

deercop

What part of Alabama are you in? PM me if you would prefer.

If feasible, bring some suitable ammo and you can shoot mine. It runs best with Speer Gold Dot 115 gr, Winchester Silvertip 115 gr, Winchester Ranger 147 gr, and so far has done well with Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ, but I admit I haven't used much of the cheap stuff in it.

I no longer have a Kahr PM9, but do have the only reliable Kahr I've owned out of 5, a stainless steel K9. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but you can try it too if you would like.

Bigjim3

Im in Birmingham, and I love kahrs ive had 5 myself. I carry a K40 everyday. Greatt gun just wanted something smaller... Ive got a colt mustang and a colt pony. Just wanted to try another flavor:D

Ed K

I carry a R9 daily had and sold pm9 the gun is everything it's advertised to be
shoots better than pm9 I speak from actual experience

Peter Weber

When you hold the Rohrbaugh in your hand, you can just see and feel the commitment to quality that goes into each gun. However, only you can determine whether or not the gun fits your needs.

Or from the other side ... your target really doesn't care what gun shoots at him/it!!

Quality costs more. A Kahr costs more than a Kel-Tek. A Rohrbaugh costs more than a Kahr. That's just the way it is.

jetboater

R9

I have an R9 and really like it--excellent fit and finish. I have 8 other pistols including HKs and Colts and it's by far the best quality of the lot. Nice to have 7 rounds of 9mm in a package that small. The recoil is stout but very controllable for followup shots--as was mentioned earlier, I use 115 Gold Dots--eats every one.
They also hold their value very well-they run $1100-1200 new and it's rare to see a used one under $950--in the last month, a half dozen used ones have changed hands for more than $1000 in the classified section on the Rohrbaugh Forum----and nearly all of them sold within a day or two

wonder how many folks who own or used to own one voted "not worth it"......probably not many---I would think most of the "not worth it votes" came from non owners

I have no issue paying $1100 for the Rohrbaugh just like others have no issue with $1500 1911s--it depends on what you're looking for--if it's a premium pocket pistol that's the smallest 9mm on the market, then it's a great choice.

Last edited:
Out of all of the pistols that were tested in this month's issue of "American Rifleman", the Rohrbaugh was the only one without a single malfunction...just food for thought.

EdInk

That just means the r9 wasn't new and was already broken in. Seriously, buy a pm9 and be done with it.

slyon

It hurts...

No I'm not a wimp but when I shot an R9 last weekend, with fmj 9mm factory, it hurt! I fired 15 rounds and quit..:eek: The quality is there and so is the reliability. I'm sure that if i ever had to use it for defense, the recoil would not be a problem. However, I sure would not look forward to practicing with it! This is one truly to carry a lot and shoot a little.......

Dave S.

Agreed. It is not fun to shoot. As far as being worth the money, I think the fact that it holds it's value very well makes it worthwhile IF it is affordable for you.

Jim Downey

Well, it is to me. YMMV.

Seriously, they are top-of-the-line engineering. Not fun to shoot, and so not a 'range gun.' And to be honest, I shoot a revolver better, so tend to carry a 642 or a 360 before I carry the R9. But when I need a super thin pocket gun in a serious caliber, the R9 fits the bill. Perfectly.

Jim D.