Rohrbaugh pistols?

Cheapshooter

Waaaay out of this ole hillbilly's league! At fourteen hunnerd bucks I could buy 9 Hi-Points, and have fifty bucks left for some Herter's ammo!:eek::D
And I wouldn't have to replace the recoil spring every 400 rounds on the Hi-Points!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I could do as I have done, and get a Springfield Armory XD40 Subcompact, KAHR CM9, and an LCP with some money left over for holsters!!
My personal opinion is that it is a precision made, finely fitted, and finished status symbol.

wild cat mccane

If you have actually held one you will notice that the difference in width between a P3AT looks small on paper but is not in the hand.

Too wide for me in the pocket. But hey, some crazy people think kahrs fit in their pockets fine. :)

C0untZer0

The spring doesn't make it 400 rounds - it's half that, but I don't see that as a huge shortcoming of the pistol. Its a part that needs to be replaced. It's a little pistol that relies heavily of the recoil spring for functioning.

I don't gripe when I have to replace the oil filter on my car, or the tires.

There are a lot of collectors on the Rorhbaugh forum, and just like the Glock fanboys get very excited when Glock makes a different colored frame, Rohrbaugh fans get excited when Rohrbaugh makes some different model, and I think there are 3 new models now - Coyote, Custom, and Tribute.

But a lot of the guys on the Rohrbaugh forum use the R9 as their everyday carry, and they shoot a few mags at the range every week or so.

So while they may be safe-queen status symbols to some folk - they are used as EDC by others.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

So while they may be safe-queen status symbols to some folk - they are used as EDC by others.

I'm not saying they are not excellent firearms. But they are priced way out of line for the everyday Joe who has the option of many other excellent guns for much less money. Safe queens, I don't think so. A Rolex of the CCW world for the high roller, you bet! Nothing wrong with that if you got the bucks for it.

Shadi Khalil

I've never shot one but I've fondled one at my LGS. It is very small and light. The trigger is pretty good and it feels well made. The recoil spring requirements don't bother me as much as it does others. Springs are cheap and from what I read, they can go well beyond the few hundred the manual recommends.

Coach Z

I believe there is a used one for sale at Bud's right now, I'd like to shoot one o try it but not sure I could justify the money (this from a guy that just bought a second Walther PPS and a five seven)

There are a lt of good high quality guns that would fill the role for less money.

Just my .02

oneounceload

If you want a true pocket-carry pistol, then this is the most powerful and smallest one currently available. With pocket carry, size matters and every 1/16" here or 1/4" there can mean the difference between easily getting it out of your pocket in an emergency or having it snag on the pocket seam.

Whether it, and in smaller cartridges, the Seecamp, are worth the money, only you can decide that

johnbt

I bought a used one 5 years ago this month and have carried it everyday.

It looked new when I bought it and the tag said "200 rounds fired". It even came with the original black carbon fiber grips. (Fwiw, the first run guns came with blue CF grips. Mine is in the R600 sn range.)

I took 3 boxes of 9mm to the range the first time and fired 101 shots. It was beating me up, mostly on the inside of the trigger guard, so I quit. :) It fired 50 WWB, 50 Georgia Arms Gold Dots and 1 of something - S&B or Fiocchi. It worked fine, so I ordered some new recoil springs and another pair of mags.

New recoil springs are $4.95.

Everyone that's been willing to fire it likes it. The last guy to shoot it was former military, current competitor, you know, a guy with big wrists and forearms :) and when he finished the first mag at 20 yards he gave me a surprised look and said, "It's really accurate."

John

C0untZer0

I tend to agree it's the smallest lightest over-all pocket nine.

There may be a model that comes in lighter but then that model has a longer OAL, there may be another model that is shorter OAL but then it's heavier by a few onces.

There are a few things that bother me, I don't own one so I guess this is just the opinion of an Internet commando or whatever...

A lot of owners report the grip screws coming loose - on most guns - not a big deal usually, but the right side grip on the R9 keeps the trigger spring in place. If that grip becomes loose, the trigger spring and or the transfer bar can (and do) malfunction.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-detail-pics.htm

It's a design problem IMO, either put a retainer there other than the grip or make it so the grip screws don't come loose. One of the reasons the grip screws come loose is because they are steel screws going directly into the aluminum frame.

One way to fix this would be to create steel inserts that lock into the aluminum, and have the steel screws tighten into the threaded steel inserts. That's pretty much how Carl fixes a pistol when someone sends it in with stripped threads anyway. The other solution is to use rubber O-rings or some type of lock washer arrangement. Some people have used Loctite - and that's occasionally led to the gun needing to be shipped to Rohrbaugh for solution #1 to be implemented.

The other thing I don't llike about the R9s is that, even though they are reliable once you've found ammo that they like - they can be picky about ammo. I like the Winchester 147gr Ranger T and I'd really be dissapointed if I get a gun that just didn't like firing it.

But worst case scenario the R9s seem to like Speer Gold Dots, and that's not bad ammo.

jmvdigital

My dad owned one for a few months. It's a beautiful looking piece, but neither of us were that impressed with it overall, considering the price. Others have mentioned the spring replacement maintenance. His particular gun shot way left, and with the sights machined into the slide, there is no adjusting for that. The magazine release was a pain too. Awkward placement, very stiff spring in the release latch. Handling it was tricky because of how slick the overall gun is. With the grips he had on it, there was no checkering or texture anywhere.

He sold it after a few months. Nothing huge wrong with it, but nothing stellar either.

C0untZer0

^ forgot to mention stock grips are not that great.

A lot of people get checkering or stipling on their guns - regardless of model but a lot of Rohrbaugh owners have gotten it done to their R9s and have said the R9 definately needs checkering front & backstrap

Last edited:

Shadi Khalil

I believe there is a used one for sale at Bud's right now, I'd like to shoot one o try it but not sure I could justify the money (this from a guy that just bought a second Walther PPS and a five seven)

There are a lt of good high quality guns that would fill the role for less money.

Just my .02

Unless its a misprint, I believe the one for sale on buds is a .380

Joe_Pike

If I was going to spend that much on a pocket nine, I believe I would look at a Boberg and save some money. They seem to get good reviews and the design is certainly interesting.

C0untZer0

I am looking at the Boberg, but it's heavier than the R9 - at 17.5 onces empty and it's a little unerving that the thing can basically be a bullet puller with the "wrong" ammo.

If you go on Bobergs site there is a list of ammo that the Boberg will pull apart and it's a pretty extensive list although I guess the only one I really care about is Speer:

Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (BVAC reloads) 115gr (2 separations in 150 rounds)

Blazer Brass (5 separations in 6 magazines)

Blazer Aluminum Case (2 separations in 9 shots)

Federal Champion (separations in batches prior to summer of 2010 as well as 1/12)

Independence 115gr FMJ (2 separations in 2 magazines)

Independence 124gr FMJ (1 separation in a case of 50)

MFS Russian Zinc Plated Steel Case 115gr (extra roun, ds ejected)

Sellier and Bellot 115gr and 124gr (Hard Primers but works well with 7.5lb trigger spring or stronger)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P (1 separation in 85 rounds)

Speer Lawman FMJ (2 separations in a case of 50)

Tula Steelcase 115gr (Hard Primers)

Winchester Silver Tips 115gr (1 separation malfunction in a case of 50)

The list of compatable ammo has, IMO some good SD ammo on it:

Aguila 115gr FMJ

American Eagle

115gr and 124gr and 147gr FMJ
Flat Point 115gr and 147gr FMJ

Black Hills

124gr JHP
+P 115gr and 124gr
Subsonic 147gr JHP

Brown Bear 115gr FMJ

Buffalo Bore +P 147gr

Corbon

+P 115gr JHP
+P 115gr DPX
+P 125gr JHP

Federal

Classic Hi Shok 115gr JHP (3 separations from an old 1990's batch)
Guard Dog 105gr
Premium HST +P 124gr
Premium Hydra-Shok 147gr JHP
Premium Personal Defense 124gr and 147gr

Fiocci

147gr JHP
115gr FMJ

Hornady

Critical Defense 115gr
Critical Duty 135gr +P
TAP FPD 124gr and 147gr
XTP 115gr

Magtech

147gr Flat FMC
115gr FMJ

PMC

115gr JHP
Bronze 115gr FMJ

ProLoad +P 124gr JHP

Prvi Partizan 158gr FMJ

RBCD Performance Plus Platinum 60gr Total Fragmenting Soft Point

Remington

Golden Saber 124gr and 147gr JHP
Golden Saber Bonded 124gr +P
UMC 115gr MC
UMC Leadless 147gr
UMC Target 115gr and 124gr MC

RWS 124gr RN

Speer

Gold Dot 124gr JHP or 147gr
Gold Dot +P 147gr JHP
Gold Dot GDHP 124gr
Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr GDHP

Winchester:

NATO 124gr FMJ
Personal Protection 115gr and 147gr JHP
Ranger 124gr, 127 +P
Ranger Bonded 124gr +P
SXT HP
White Box 115gr Bulk FMJ

Wolf

115gr FMJ
Gold

I don't know why the Boberg would pull apart the Speer 124gr +P but not pull apart the smae bullet at standard load, I guess the slide is moving faster with the +P.