Rohrbaugh P9 - what's the scoop on this gun?

Skans

This thing looks like a really nice carry pistol. It's quite expensive - for that kind of money, I could probably get an HK P7. Are they worth the price for carry pistols? Still made?

RsqVet

People who have them love them, I have seen but not shot one. If it were made of steel I might consider it, but then again based on how a 380 seecamp fires not sure I really want to go there.

johnbt

"you have to replace the recoil spring after 200 rds"

$4.95 each and they told me 250 rounds. It's not a range gun or plinker, I quit shooting mine the first time out after 101 rounds. If the the frame was steel like the rest of it, well, it would defeat the purpose of designing and building a very small 9mm pocket gun, wouldn't it?

A .380 Seecamp is a "retarded blowback" design according to the site. The R9 is a locked breech which is a whole 'nother ballgame when it comes to pistol design and recoil. Not to say that an R9 isn't a handful, it only weighs 12.8 ounces so it's going to kick some. :)

A Rohrbaugh is worth every penny if it meets your needs => very small 9mm

John

bob.a

I've been fascinated by this pistol, despite the price. But I've read about some failures to feed/fire that worry me.

The pistol is described as being built to very close tolerances, partly to keep pocket lint and junk from gumming up the action. This leads to little shavings from the ammunition causing problems with the action. For a gun that HAS to work when you need it, the possibility of failure is a bit scary. For 1000+ dollars I want total confidence and 100% reliability, which it seems the pistol does not provide.

Still, many folks swear by them. (Sometimes I wonder whether they can't admit that they blew a grand on a gun that might not work. Sometimes I think it's an isolated incident or two. You pays your money and you takes your chances).

All my info regarding the above comes from the Rohrbaugh website, especially the section on range reports.

johnbt

Which then leads to the question...

Were they shooting one of the recommended rounds? Both Rohrbaugh and Seecamp recommend what kinds of ammo to use. My R9 has cycled and fired everything I've tried including WWB and Georgia Arms reloads and Gold Dot reloads.

Nothing is perfect. Won't happen. Some brands are better than others, but there is no perfect.

John

Jim Downey

Yeah, as johnbt says, they're a great little gun *FOR WHAT THEY ARE*. It's a real handful to shoot for me, and not a lot of fun - but when I want a full 9mm in a mousegun-sized package, I grab my R9.

Changing the recoil spring is simple, and inexpensive. I change mine after a hundred rounds or so - about once a year.

Mine will feed anything dependably, so long as I do not limp-wrist the gun. If I get sloppy with it (shooting it like my larger semis), that's when I have problems, and that seems to be the case with most people.

In short, I love it - for what it is. But in truth most of the time when I want a pocket gun, I reach for my 642 - which I just shoot better, with my big hands. Still, when I need a super slim gun in a reasonable caliber, my R9 gets the duty.

Jim D.