Rohrbaugh Firearms

allenomics

Do you have an opinion on the price/value of the Rohrbaugh 9mm pistol?

It retails for about $1,000 and seems to have some good reviews.

I found it odd that Rohrbaugh recommends that its Recoil Spring be changed every 100 (not 1000 or 10,000) rounds fired!

It's just 4.99 plus shipping, but with a gun costing so much, one would think it would be engineered differently or equipped with a better, more durable spring.

nhgunner

The R9s is a tiny gun for the caliber, that's why the recoil spring needs replacing pretty often. The factory recommends every 100 or so rounds but some owners go more before they do. I have one and haven't shot 100 rounds through it yet! It's got sharp recoil and its not a fun gun for the range. Once I verified it was reliable for me with Win Silvertips I loaded it and forgot it. Every once in a while I'll take it out, clean and lube it, and fire off a couple of mags just to exercise the gun and remind myself why I carry my J frame Smithie .38 more!

jehu

I's a self defense carry gun not a day at the range gun. I've got two and both will put 7rds in 3" at 25ft. As the previous poster said you won't want to put more than a mag or two thru it at any given range time but for ultimate 9mm pocket carry it can't be beat.

NCHornet

To rich for my blood, I can buy three NAA Guardians in 32ACP, or two of the .380's, and still have enough left over for a bunch of ammo. Haven't looked at a ballistics chart but I doubt there is a whole lot of difference between the three out of such a short barrel. Here is my Guardian.

3-14007.jpg

hoytinak

Do a search on here. I posted a thread a while back when I was looking into getting one myself. There was some pretty good info. posted on that thread to include a link to the Rohrbaugh forum. After all the research I did, I found out the gun wasn't for me. I like to take my guns to the range and fire lots of rounds through them. The Rohrbaugh is NOT meant to be any kind of range gun, it is made strictly as a carry gun.

DPris

Member Emeritus
When deciding to buy a Rohrbaugh or not, you have to understand the gun.
As others mentioned above- it is not a range gun. It is a carry-almost-anywhere defensive gun, pure and simple. It is not a range toy.
In designing a pistol that small to handle the 9mm caliber, compromises had to be made. No safety, no last-round hold open, no tolerances for gunk accumulation, and so on. Part of all that means the recoil spring does need to be replaced much more often, it takes a battering.
The entire platform was never intended to fire 10,000 rounds, anyway.
You buy it, learn it, carry it, re-learn it once or twice a year, and KEEP IT CLEAN, and it'll do its intended job. Which is to protect your life, not entertain it. :)
Whether it's worth that much money to you or not, it is very well crafted and made with premium materials in a smaller production facility that doesn't hurry them out.
Denis

Billy Sparks

I have one and really like it my only complaint is that I have never bought a real good pocket holster for it and the nylon one I have makes it print something awful. Personelly I found the recoil to be not that bad a slight slap was all.

trespass

disappointment

personally, I have been disappointed with my ps9
the thing may get its magazine empty, but reloading
and further rounds are no sure thing..even the
maker will tell you it
was designed to fire 7 rounds. AND, it is picky about ammo
and mine, so far, has worked reliably only with FMJ...and
mine is not only problem you may discover on the rohrbaugh forum
with other owners. I'd say for a collection item this is probably
not a bad thing...but I'd suggest you are better armed with
a good working 380 or a snub S&W 38..at least you can be sure they will work.

DPris

Member Emeritus
On the one I tested, the only ammo problem out of about five different factory loads of four different bullet weights was the UMC stuff, exactly as predicted by the maker.
That included 90 grains to 147 grains, flatnose through hollowpoint. True, it does not reload quickly, but that's not what it's designed to do.
If you want a combat pistol, get a combat pistol. :)
Denis

Michigunner

In all fairness, I must say that my Rohrbaugh R9S performed perfectly during some 66 rounds of different kinds of JHP ammunition.

I could not have asked for better reliability.

Then, one day I just sat down and realized that it was not for me. I didn't like the looks of it, how it felt, how it shot, and how it was so hard to re-assemble.

It is not for everyone.

Bill

los

My RS9 was very nice, but in all fairness a little too large for true pocket carry. Nothing beats the size, weight and comfort of my Seecamp(s) for year round pocket carry.

HANDR9sLWS.jpg

Michigunner

los,

Your Seecamp sounds great. Do you have to use a pocket holster?

Every once in a while, I come close to buying the .32, but am reluctant to take on a tiny automatic again.

The S&W 642 slips into Dockers pants pretty well so there's not too much pressure to change.

Bill

los

Michigunner said:
...los,

Your Seecamp sounds great. Do you have to use a pocket holster?

Yes.

I utilize a Hedley front pocket MERLIN most of the time. I also use a Hedley rear pocket holster from time to time. These Holsters maintain the weapon upright and always in the same position.

BTW, I sometimes carry my LWS380 and my LWS32 at the same time..:)

Michigunner

I came within seconds of buying the LWS380, but some of the guys warned me that it had quite a kick, and I chickened out.

Actually, I guess you wouldn't even know it, if you had an emergency.

I still might get the .32, even though the small power might be something to fret about.

Bill

los

Hello Bill,

The LWS380 does bestow bit sharper recoil than it's smaller sibling, but it's not intolerable.

Granted, you wouldn't want to plan an all day trip to the Range with it either...:)

I keep mine loaded with DPX. Compared to the other recommended ammo, these loads produce the most recoil [accompanied by ear-piercing blast], but as you've stated, in an emergency it will not be noticed.

PresentaionCaseRE06.jpg

BTW,..My sincere apologies to allenomics and everyone else for getting off topic.

jimacp

I have both a Rohrbaugh and a Seecamp. Both are great for their intended use. My Rohrbaugh did not jam AT ALL until around the 700th round. I changed mag and recoil springs and its been fine for the last 100 rounds. Yes, the Seecamp is smaller, but I have no problem pocket carrying the Rohrbaugh anywhere with any clothes. I like them both, but I would pick the Roghbaugh between the two because of its caliber. With that said, a S&W 340 is not a bad choice either.

'75Scout

I have bought a kahr PM40 and a Kahr K40 Covert in my search for a good pocket gun. PM40 sucked big time. I had alot of problems. K40 Covert would work well for IWB and it's been great, but it's heavy.

Once I saw the Rohrbaugh I knew I had to have one. It's what I'm currently saving for and besides Sigs I haven't seen a gun I find more asthetically appealing. It might be biggish for pocket carry, but I believe the Kahr PM40 is bigger and it fit in my pocket just fine. I like the Seecamp aswell, but it seems a little too small for my tastes. Rohrbaugh is also coming out with 380 model in the same size. And recoil is reported to be barely noticeable. For me it is a tough decision. 9mm with stout recoil or 380 with light recoil. Power should be about the same, 9mm a little higher of course. But follow up shots faster with the 380.